Chapter 6: The Mission Begins

Explicit content below, read at own risk.

We woke up early that morning, way before the sun had risen, to start the journey to Aschernsteld.

From one of the cupboards in my wagon I pulled out the green version of the dress I had worn yesterday. The exact same coarse potato-sack like material. I knew that we were only going to Aschernsteld to rescue Zanth, but I promised myself that I would buy some new clothes if I got the chance. I eyed the sack of silver coins Fred had gifted me and felt the determination rush through me. I would free myself of these uncomfortable clothes as soon as possible!

Khione and I were sitting right at the front of the wagon, where the coachman would sit if my wagon had a horse. Instead of an animal to make the wagon move, Khione used his dark magic to propel my wagon forwards. It was pretty cool actually. All he had to do was flood the wagon with his dark magic. it had been very interesting to actually watch him perform the spell as I got my first look at black magic. Black magic was literally the opposite of my light magic. It physically looked like swirls of black smoke twisting and winding in the air, but it gave off an eerie feel to it. Just a strange quality that put me on edge, possibly my light nature rejecting the dark magic, it's opposite.

Khione explained to me that once his magic had infiltrated an object he could take control of said object. As soon as his dark magic infiltrated and object, even people, he could bend it to his will, and hence he was making the wagon wheels roll all on their own.

We rode in silence. I simply watched as the hills and streams passed us by, while Khione was probably focussed on his magic and keeping the wagon moving.

I couldn't stop thinking about my strange experience last night. I couldn't get the horrible feeling of helplessness out of my mind. That poor man Zanth was literally on the brink of death and those evil poeple were still going to torture him. If anything, he was probably dead. I mean, he couldn't still be alive... My gut twitched uncomfortably and I had to change my sitting position to get myself comfortable again. I only wished that there was something I could do. Someway that I could reach him.

Maybe there was a way.

I had an idea, it wasn't a great idea but still if there was a chance of me helping Zanth and helping Khione fulfill his promise, at the very least, I should try.

I needed to do what I did last night. I needed to fall asleep. I needed to astral project again.

"Hey Khione." I tapped on his shoulder. "Do you mind if I take a nap?"

"No, sure go ahead." He nodded sleepily. It seemed that he was tired himself.

I stood up and stepped back into the warmth of the wagon and got back under the blankets. I had already been feeling pretty sleepy since we had woken up early and it was still dark out, so I imagined that falling back asleep wouldn't be so difficult.

I lay my head on a pillow and tried to empty my mind, the same way I would before a concert. Slow steady breaths accompanied by the warm coziness of the blankets still wasn't enough to make me go back to sleep. I frustratedly whipped the blankets off of me and stood up and realized that I just wouldn't be able to force myself to go to sleep.

I gasped as I looked down and saw my sleeping body still nestled in the blankets.

Yes! I did it. I managed to astral project again.

I put a quick end to my victory jiggle because I knew that I had business to do. I concentrated again and closed my eyes. I thought about the place I had seen last night. That dark dank hall, hidden somewhere within Aschernsteld's walls. That scary cold place where Zanth was being held. I thought about the malicious reptillian spirit that was infused into the thick iron chains and concentrated as hard as I could. I tried to visualize everything I remembered about what I had seen last night. As much detail as possible. I willed myself to be there.