Author's Note

Hello readers!

I can't tell you how exciting it is to be posting this story online for the first time. I've been working on it a painfully long time -- ten years if I'm being honest. It was a combination of difficult subject matter and starting out as a truly terrible writer. It's okay, I'm not ashamed of my lousy-writer past. If I started painting fruit bowls tomorrow, I'd be a truly terrible fruit-bowl painter. Everything takes a lot of practice before we're any good.

As much as I'd love to just part this curtain and get on to the reading, it needs to be said that this book is intended for mature (17+) audiences due to a combination of physical and sexual abuse, alcohol and painkiller addiction, and one brief scene involving self-harm. If you or anyone you know and love is experiencing depression, I would encourage you to reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

With the difficult part out of the way, I've shared my aesthetic for this story up above and if you're into recommended listening, I would point to anything by Nine Inch Nails (they inspired the title!) or A Perfect Circle while you read. I am also a huge fan of listening to film scores while writing -- a perfect example would be Broadchurch for those epic and sad soundscapes.

As this is my first experience with Wattpad, please know that every like or follow, every comment with a compliment or constructive criticism is absolutely appreciated and heard. Thank you for reading.

Let's get on with it already!