The Boss - Part 1

When they reached the basement of the parking garage, Alex and Nick got out to stretch their legs. Victor and the girl were still motionless in the back. The difference was, they'd buckled the girl onto one of the benches so she wouldn't tumble around on the floor.

"He didn't wake up," Nick said.

"I hope I didn't use too much. He's a big guy," Alex replied.

"His vitals were steady. I'll get Raul to help bring him in. In the meantime, you wanna see something weird?"

"After the night we just had, I'm afraid to say yes."

Nick rested his knee on the bumper and lunged into the back of the van, returning with the book Octavia had insisted on bringing along. He dropped it in Alex's hands, then jogged away to the security door at the end of the row of parked cars.

Alex opened what appeared to be a photo album, only it had no photos in it. There were older-style pages that were sticky like fly paper covered in cellophane. He felt a little guilty for even peeking in it. Octavia had been so adamant when she had asked to bring it that he'd assumed there would be family photos or memorabilia or, well, something valuable. The book was filled with magazine clippings. Alex turned a few pages. There were tear-outs of houses and carefully curated rooms, of people doing normal things like having coffee or playing with their kids. But magazine shoots were staged, so it was just a fake album about fake people. Was she also the sort of person who also saved the photo insert that came with her picture frames?

He heard the security door creak open and closed, and Nick returned with Raul. Alex climbed into the back of the van. He stuffed the album under the bench, then began to unbuckle the girl. When both men approached, he asked, "Would you rather I take Victor?"

"No," Nick said. "You've taken enough shit from this guy."

Alex nodded toward the red spot that had been darkening on Nick's cheek. "You took some shit yourself."

"Yeah, well, when a guy puts his buttons right out there, it's hard to resist pushing one or two." He and Raul each took an end and lifted Victor, shuffling out of the van and toward the security door. "Enjoy the easy gig," Nick called after him.

Alex balled up the blanket they'd taken and left it on the floor. He could dispose of it later. He lifted Octavia into his arms and there was a smell like eucalyptus coming from her skin. Up close he could see the way her makeup had worn off, the faint constellation of freckles across her cheeks.

Funny, he thought. This doesn't feel like the easy gig.

#

When he reached Dominic's office, Alex announced that Victor had been secured, as promised. Despite his disgust at learning that Nick had brought women to him before, Alex needed to make up for the complication that had cropped up on the Kline job. It didn't matter if it was mere coincidence.

Dominic was precisely where Alex had seen him last: sitting at his massive desk, working on his laptop and having a drink. He removed a narrow set of reading glasses. "What happened to your lip?" he asked.

"Is this the 'something of value' you wanted?" He then tilted the girl toward him and her head craned back, long hair cascading almost to Alex's knee.

Dominic took a sip of his drink before returning it to his leather coaster. "I know that look. What's the matter – she isn't valuable to you? If Victor hit you in the mouth over her, I'd say she must be."

Even the resulting silence felt condescending. "You made her sound like cash in a mattress, Sir."

"I might be the last person you'd expect to hear this from, but not all valuables are monetary. Go put her in my quarters."