Unfamiliar Threat

The next morning, you woke up and got ready for school. You noticed that your mom had gone to work earlier today than usual. You knew she didn't want to talk to you nor see you in the morning ever since the argument happened last night. You went into the kitchen to see your test paper placed in the same spot, untouched. 

"Ugh.." You sighed, shaking your head as you picked up the test sheet, crumbling it to throw away. You wanted to bury that terrible memory and forget about it. Afterwards, you decided to skip breakfast and walk to school. You thought about your relationship with your mom. You knew that it's been hard living up to her expectations and when you couldn't meet them, she would make you feel like your entire existence was a mistake. 

"My master told me that when adults say hurtful things to their loved ones, they often think back on it. Whatever your mom told you, I know she didn't mean it when it hurt your feelings. I'm sure she'll realize." 

Yeah, right.

You would know your own mom more than anyone. If she didn't mean to say those things to you, why would she try to avoid you? No one knows your mom better than you. She was the type of person who would always correct you and berate you every time she catches you making an error. She would argue with you no matter what topic it was, whether it was political or science. In other words, she was the type of mom in the store who loves to speak to the manager. Sometimes, you even feel a bit embarrassed to be seen with her whenever she makes a fuss with other adults.

"How will I ever be able to deal with her?" You thought.

"Well, well, what do we have here?"

In front of you stood a small group of boys wearing the same uniform however, you knew they didn't go to your school. Strangely, a blonde boy stood out more than the rest. To be honest, he was quite handsome in a way. You kept your cool as the group of boys made their way to you, following the shaggy blonde. 

"So this is the girl who saved your sorry ass?" The ring leader asked as the rest of the boys chuckled. You noticed one of them took a step ahead with a nervous look.

".. Yeah.." 

You remembered that boy from before. He was the one who was being picked at by the delinquents from your school. You tried to be brave. The whole gang seemed like they were picking a fight. You wanted to act uninterested and strong so you took a deep breath and puffed through your nose.

"What do you want?" You asked the leader.

"Oh, nothing. We're not here looking for trouble, missy." The leader responded, shoving his hands into his pockets as he casually stands in your way.

You noticed the boy you saved attempted to make out some words. "I-I just wanna say thanks for helping me back then--" 

"Hey, shut it. I'm the one talking to her." The ring leader interrupted. 

"You're not a very nice boy." You spoke in disgust. 

"What's it to you, princess? You think you're so tough, meddling in our business?" His attitude reflected yours, taking a step forward.

"What do you want from me?" You fought back. The ring leader seemed like a spoiled child who could use his own charm for anything he wants. You hated those type of people. Those who charm their way out of everything are the lowest of society. 

"Stay out of our business. We've got beef with some of your people so don't try and solve everyone's problem before you become our problem." He warned.

"You think I'm scared?" You scoffed, nervously. You didn't know where this attitude was coming from. Maybe last night's argument with your mom was making you a bit moody today.