01 | connected

You could not believe your eyes. Blinking mulitple times, you rub your eyes, dart your eyes back and forth to clear your line of vision before your eyes land onto your left hand again. It was not just your eyes playing tricks on you, it is actually true, your red string of fate has finally been connected to someone else's.

The thread has significantly become longer, extending all the way out of your room, to the outside of your house until you are unable to see it anymore. It definitely is connected if it is in this state, since unconnected strings are short and could be easily identified as the end of the string would just be hanging off your pinky. A connected string would be over a metre long, even kilometres long depending on how far apart you and your soulmate are.

You cannot help but bubble with excitement. For once, you never hated your quirk as much as you did ever since you had it manifest in you. You still despise it, however today, you didn't despise it as much as you normally would.

A small smile tugs onto your lips as you get to the bathroom to wash up and get ready for school. Today started out decently for you and you cannot hold back the slight giddiness you had in your head upon knowing that your red string of fate is finally connected. However, it is important to note that despite two people being connected by the red string of fate, it is not necessary for them to eventually end up together as a couple athough in at least eighty percent of cases, people who get together are those with their strings connected, your parents being one such example.

As you get one last look of yourself in the mirror, you notice the stupid grin you have been wearing on your face since the moment you realised your string is finally connected. Shaking your head to get the happy yet foolish thoughts out of your head, you slap yourself on the cheeks to get rid of the suspiciously wide grin before leaving your room with your bag.

You live in a one-room apartment by yourself, in the city of Musutafu. Your city of origin is actually Yokohama but you decided to move out to witness great heroes in action in Musutafu, since this city is the home ground of U.A High School, the school of your childhood dreams. As much as you feel bitter over the fact that you have to give up your dream on being a hero, you still want to watch others who qualify for U.A High School grow into pro-heroes. Frankly speaking, you are enjoying your life here so far.

You grab a slice of bread and spread butter and jam over it messily, folding it in half and placing it into your mouth whilst you try to close the jam jar and place the butter back into the fridge. You then bite into the bread and pull it out of your mouth, chewing down onto it as you make your way around the table counter and towards your desk where your school bag is placed.

Finishing up the last few bites of the bread, you quickly wash your hands with soap and water before retrieving your school bag and smartphone, preparing yourself to head out. You slip into your loathers, not bothering that your feet aren't completely fit into them yet before you head out the door, checking your wristwatch for the time before smiling up at the vibrant sun.

On your way to the train station, you check your class timetable for the day. Today's Wednesday and the day for club activities, meaning school ends slightly earlier at 2pm. Being a part of the 'going-home' club, you consider yourself lucky for having more free time after school than others.

Nodding towards your smartphone, you make up your mind: After school, you will attempt to look for the person whom your red string of fate is attached to.

▪▪▪

School went by in a blur for you and by the time you know it, the last bell signalling the end of lessons for the day rang.

You spent almost half your lessons thinking about your so-called soulmate, wondering what kind of person he may be. Would he be tall or short? Would he be good-looking or not live up to your standards of what is considered as attractive? Would he be nice or mean? Would he be a smart alec or an airhead? Mulitple questions ran through your mind as you fantasized about the person you are fated to be with, according to the red string of fate.