5

Written by: sweetbratt

Kolby's POV:

Six missed calls from Mama, two from the Big Brother, and eight unread text messages. Not sure how I slept through it all. Hell, the last thing I remember was some random dude bumping into me, me loosing my shit over a spilled beer, and a huge ass bar brawl. Somehow I wound up back at Mama's. One of the boys must have dropped me here. I didn't even bother reading all the texts or listening to the voice mails. I sent B a text telling him I was on my way, and pointed my bike in the direction of Maysville.

The closer I got, the more I knew something was wrong. I could feel it in my bones. All I knew is I had to get to Mama and B. Pulling down the driveway I saw an unfamiliar truck parked next to Mama's car.
My foot had just hit the first porch step when the screen door flung up and Mama started in on me. "Where in the world have you been? I've called you at least a dozen times! I've been worried sick. Your brother was about to send out a search party!" I'd never seen Mama this hysterical and on the verge of tears. All I could think to do was hug her. But that just made her cry harder. I looked at B for answers. All he did was shrug his shoulders and light a cigarette. The man I hadn't been introduced to yet spoke up as Mama started to calm down. "Becky if you're able and Brantley here is ok with it, how about we head indoors to have a talk with the boys." Mama nodded her head and Brantley just huffed as he turned on his heel and headed in. "I think that's a good idea Reese," Mama said giving me a weak smile as he headed inside. "Damn bro, you have a party without me?" I gave him a knowing smile assuming the glass came from one of his epic parties. But that just got me growled at. "Dude calm the hell down, it was a joke." I snapped back closing some of the distance between us. "I don't know what your problem has been lately, but you need to lose the growling. One of these days someones gonna bite back!" My shoulders tensed as I moved even closer but Mama stepped better us before things could escalate. "You two stop it! Stop it right this minute!" She was pushing us further apart. Well she tried. Then started fussing at Reese to come help her. He took a big step back and lifted his hands. "Sorry Becks, but no way am I stepping between those two pups in a phase like this. Especially not that one." He pointed at Brantley. "I got your damn pup." Brantley glared at Reese making Mama go off again. "Brantley Keith you just stop it." I laughed at B being scolded which earned me a stern look like Mama wanted to slap me. "Both of you shut it and listen to what the man has to tell you both. He knows what's been causing the headaches, aggressive behavior, short... well shorter than normal tempers, and loss of time. Even the random dreams. And don't go fussing about who told me what. Neither of you told me. Your father told me what to watch for. Now go park it in the living room while I make us some coffee."
Her tone told me she meant business so I did what I was told and plopped down in Brantley's recliner. I could hear B growling from the kitchen and decided to push his buttons, I propped my feet up on his coffee table. Muddy boots and all. What I didn't expect was him to yank me up and toss me across the back of the couch." Wasn't the first time we had traded blows, but this was different. Like we each had something to prove but didn't know what. We traded body shots for a good two minutes before Mama drenched us with a bucket of water so cold we jumped apart. Mama looked furious by the time she made it to the living room. I don't remember the last time she had us both by the ear but good Lord did it hurt. She didn't let go until we were both sitting on the couch. One of us on each end and her in the middle. "Reese, start talking before these knuckle heads go at it again. I'm losing my patience and I don't feel like dragging the hose in here." "From the way things are going I'm guessing your Daddy never told you about his side of the family and our..... Well our special traits as some of the young ones call it. See, for as long as anyone has known we've been different. We make great hunters and trackers because of our heightened senses and fast reflexes. That, and some of us change with the moon." He gave us both a look like he hoped he didn't have to say more and Mama was holding her breath. So I did what I do to break tension. I made a joke. "So what you're basically saying is you're a distant family member come to tell us we are from some sort of werewolf clan, because that's what it sounds like to me. Next you'll tell us we are going to change with the full moon and turn into blood thirsty killers." Reese looked at me dead serious. "No, not you son. But HE probably will. If we don't get him to Hayley in time. He would tear Hell down trying to get to her." Mama looked like she was about to cry again and Brantley looked confused and I was, well pissed. Why does he always get all the cool shit. "So he will shift but I never will. Just all the petty side effects without the fun?" Reese looked at me like I was a nut job after my rambling. "Hell I don't know boy. He was never supposed to happen." He being a brooding Brantley pacing in the corner. "So I have no idea what's in store for either of you. This has never happened before that I know of." Turning to ask Mama a question, I was shocked to see her in Brantley's kitchen, on the counter, reaching up in the cabinet for the only thing he kept up there. His bottle of booze. "What? Don't you look at me like that. Either of you! I can only take so much!" That was the last thing Mama said before she headed to the back deck leaving us with a very tense Reese.