5.

5.
Grave News
-•-

• Annabeth Chase •

We returned back to Stanford in cheers of victory. A school van came to pick us up from the airport, where my friend, Lou Ellen, was boasting about the championship. The big, golden trophy was encased in a long glass box, bearing the logo of Stanford, its motto and the girls basketball team's members, captain and coach. The team members also received medals, mine proudly showcasing "CAPTAIN" in big, bold letters.

I slouched against the van's seat in relief.

Lou Ellen sat in front of me with Sarah, another teammate, and the duo were creating a chant to yell out loud when we arrived at our school. I laughed at their antics, resting my hand on my duffel bag.

I gazed out the window. The sky was painted in a bright orange color, the clouds drifted across, and trees swayed in the wind.

I sighed in contentment. Everything was finally going good. But something was still disturbing me, like an old scab was itching all of a sudden. I closed my eyes, trying to find some peace, but I only saw an image of jet-black hair and deep sea-green eyes.

My eyes flew open.
Why did it seem like I've seen him before?

I tried to shrug it off. This means nothing. It's just after-effects of the match...right?

"Hey!" someone said, slumping down the seat next to me. "Annabeth! Awesome match, girl!"

I turned my head to see Coach Taylor, with her fawn-colored hair tied into a fishtail braid, bright blue eyes, and her usual white whistle hanging around her neck, down her white t-shirt.

I smiled. "Thanks, Coach."

Coach Taylor waved her hand nonchalantly. "Don't call me 'Coach'! Makes me feel like I'm super old," she said, grinning. "But anyways..." She held her hand up for a high-five. "The way you played? Hits my heart! Breathtaking, girl!"

I obliged. "It's all because you guided us," I said, humbly.

Taylor shrugged. "It's no biggie! I know I'm awesome, and amazing, and stunning! Thanks for reminding me, though!" Taylor remarked playfully.

I snorted and we both fell into heaps of laughter.

Taylor was in her twenties or something, but she went along with us girls as if she was our fellow classmate. That's one thing I always loved about her.
She also helped me through my rough times. When I had my family issues, I couldn't go through one period without taking a pass, getting into the bathroom and cry hopelessly and because of this, my marks dropped.
Taylor was the one who offered a shoulder to cry on. She comforted to me and she was a really good listener. Once I joined into the team, she learned how disturbed I was, and gave me comfort and closure. She acted like an older sister to me and she helped me correct my wrongs.

Taylor finally stopped laughing and let out a content sigh. "Well, I gotta go congratulate the other teammates. See you later?" she said.

"See you later, Taylor!" I said, cheerfully.

She moved through the empty rows of seats and started talking with the other girls. I took out my phone and I noticed a text:

'Is the match done? Because I really want a kiss now!' -Luke

I smiled and...maybe blushed TOO much, but if anyone points that out, I'll kick 'em in the bifurcum! I texted back:

'We're on our way! Be there in another twenty minutes!'