Ch. 4

Adrien held his sword up in front of him, then he angled it out to the side. Kagami, who stood across from him, repeated the movement. They ran at each other. Their swords clashed, bringing the familiar ring of steel on steel to his ears. He lunged at her, and she easily blocked it. They became entangled in a complicated dance that was a blur to the eye. It was a dance mixed with lunges, parries, feints, and strikes. Their swords connected with each other's bodies at the same moment, ending the duel in a tie.

Adrien lifted his helmet. "Nice work, Kagami. You really are talented."

She lifted her helmet. "Not as talented as you, I'm afraid."

Adrien waved her comment aside. "Don't say that. We're both the top duelers in fencing for a reason."

She nodded her consent. The bell rang, signaling the end of practice.

"See you tomorrow, Adrien."

"See you, Kagami." He waved bye before he ran off to his locker. He entered the combination and opened the small door. Plagg was sitting on top of his bag. He was looking sorrowfully at the empty container in front of him.

"Next time, you should pack some more camembert. This measly little package isn't enough for this kwami."

"Plagg, you are a bottomless pit."

"I'm an important kwami that has to supply his owner with powers every day. You don't know how much work that is."

"Maybe, Plagg," Adrien said as he packed his bag, "we wouldn't be having this conversation if you didn't cram every morsel of cheese into your mouth within the span of ten seconds!"

Plagg shrugged. "It's hard to resist good cheese."

Adrien shook his head as he left the school. He hopped into his bodyguard's car, and they drove away. They sat in silence for a bit before Adrien asked Plagg a question that had been bothering him for the last couple of days.

"Plagg, do you think Marinette is okay?"

Plagg looked at him oddly. "Since when do you worry about her? I thought you were devoted to Ladybug."

Adrien blushed. "I mean, did she seem off to you these last couple of days? She didn't pay attention in class, and she talked back to the teacher yesterday. Then today, it looked like she could fall asleep standing up!"

Plagg thought for a moment. "Maybe she has a cold."

"How would that explain her talking back to the teacher?"

"Maybe she's tired because of the cold, so she's cranky. It can happen to anyone."

"Like you?"

"I'll choose to ignore that remark." They rode in silence the rest of the car ride, and Plagg managed to find some hidden camembert in on of the cars compartments. He feasted on it the rest of the way home, and all Adrien could smell the remainder of the car ride was stinky cheese.

He sighed to himself. The life of a superhero.