2.

~2~

     THE NEXT FEW WEEKS CONSISTED OF ME AND MY friends having sleepovers at my house and preparing for the first football game of the season. Our first game of the season was an away game so all of the cheer leaders planned on getting together after school and decorating a banner for our school. We started working on the thing during one of our practices and since the game was in a week, we decided a sleepover was the best way to go to finish it. Since Kathy thinks that she has the biggest house out of the whole team supposedly, she was the one to host it.

"I swear this girl thinks she's the shit now just because she made the team after four years of trying. If you're parents are so rich and you have the biggest house in the whole state then how come they didn't have enough money for somebody to teach you a cartwheel all those years ago," Courtney mumbles to herself as we walk out to my car after practice.

My lips curl up into a half smile as I look up and see Kaitlin across the courtyard conversing with one the guys on the football team. Once I see them exchange small pieces of paper I slowly turn my head so I'm facing forward, and continue walking towards the car. Once I unlock the door to the Coop, we throw our bags inside the trunk before I climb into the driver's seat, and Courtney in the passenger seat.

"Gosh I can't stand that girl. You should have seen her in class today, she was flirting with almost all of the football players in that class," Courtney continues to rant on. "Could someone please explain to me how in the hell Kathy Gross got the number of a football player, but yet she's one of the worst cheer leaders on the team."

I raise my eyebrows and look over at her. "What does her being...slightly bad at cheering have to do with anything?"

Courtney's head snaps in my direction and her mouth drops open in disbelief. "First of all, I'm not even going to entertain that whole 'slightly bad' comment, and second it has to do with everything. I've been on the team four years running, and she has only been on the team for a few weeks. Everybody knows football players only go after cheer leaders. So why would a football player go after a cheer leader who's not even semi-good at cheering? I bet you she blackmailed Principal Stephens into letting her––"

Before Courtney can finish what she is saying, Kaitlin climbs into the backseat and places her bag down on the seat next to her before leaning forward. "Hey guys, sorry I took so long. Is she still going on about Kathy?"

"How could I not? I mean like seriously the girl has no coordination, and now that she's on the team she thinks she's all that," Courtney exclaims while flailing her arms all over the place.

I smile and roll my eyes before placing my keys in the ignition and turning it on. As I'm pulling out of the parking lot, Courtney is still ranting and Kaitlin is on the phone with her father. This was pretty much how our practice days ended every week. I was used to it by now since we've been cheering since the first year of middle school. Normally my mother, who didn't work, would come pick us all up after school and we would sit in the back seat of my mother's Escalade. Kaitlin would call her father to assure him that we were getting home safely and Courtney, the girl who seems to complain about almost everything, would rant about something that went on at practice.

I just sat there and listened.

"What is up with you and Kathy Gross, I mean you never seemed to have a problem with her last year, or the year the before that so what gives?" Kaitlin asks as she leans forward some more and raises an eyebrow at our friend.