Thundercloud

Ninth day of autumn, Rock Circle, Dun'Broch.

Merida is nowhere to be seen.

She disappeared about three days ago. My men are already trying to break into the castle to take the throne (I have, in fact, tried to stop them). The queen and her children are hidden. Mum already realised this whole war is stupidity. Astrid has been kinder to me; I think she's also been considering to put an end to all this. Eret agrees with me, but Snotlout still encourages the warriors to keep fighting.

I miss Fishlegs so much. The twins are unbearable without him; they almost seem bloodthirsty. Thin change in their attitudes cannot be normal, they are far too out of themselves, though we have no clue of what might have happened to make them act as they do.

Toothless already met the female night fury (I've considered to call it "Day fury" or "Bright Fury", but none of those names convince me), but each time they seem to start mating, the other dragon flies away. I've been working all night, for all the nights Merida's been gone, to make him a new tail so he can fly on his own.

I'm currently working on the same spot Merida and I met for the first time, the rock circle. I don't know why, but whenever I want to talk to her, I'm led here by an indescribable instinct. I've decided to wait for her, right here. Toothless is beside me, sometimes I wish we could stay like this forever, but this is no longer about me, he deserves all the happiness I've deprived him from.

Perhaps everyone I love is happier without me.

Hiccup closed the journal violently. His thoughts submerged in all the misery he had caused others. If he had been stronger, more determined, kinder, wiser...If.

He worked a little more and with a few final touches, the tail was done. Toothless circled around him excitedly until the lad put the prosthetic on, and the dragon flew away.

Since the dragon flew close to the ground, Hiccup was able to follow him into a clearing where Merida and him found the white dragon a few days ago. The sight there astonished both Hiccup and Toothless, who stood frozen in between the trees.

Merida and the dragon were looking at the other. All of the weapons the princess had carried were in the ground, far from the lass. The dragon was glaring furiously at the redhead, as she returned the glare. They were circling around each other, until the girl, unsure of what she was doing, extended her little hand towards the dragon's head. She looked down, avoiding the creature's gaze and, after a little bit of hesitation, the beautiful white dragon placed its head against the girl's hand. She took a sudden breath and looked at the lovely beast, which seemed less fierce and more loving.

Hiccup gasped, startling the dragon, that shot a plasma blast towards the Viking. Toothless, quick as lightning, shielded his friend under his wing, saving his life.

"Hicc!" Merida exclaimed, as the white dragon surrounded her in a protective manner. "I think Thundercloud is just trying to protect me."

The shy Viking peeped over Toothless' wing, and after the redhead explained to Thundercloud that Hiccup was a friend, the four reunited.

Toothless, once more, started his awkward mating dance, as Thundercloud watched, rather confused. Both dragons played a little, and when Thundercloud flew off, Toothless was finally able to follow her.

"Is my eye bad or did you just train a dragon on your own?" asked Hiccup, when they were left alone.

"It took some hard work, a few bruises and a whole load of fishing, but I think she likes me" Answered the princess, looking at the sky.