3 | neighbor

❝Lily❞

"This is your building?" Ashton laughs to me when we approach the door. I feel quite offended by this.

"Yeah?" I'm slightly annoyed. I know it's not a beautiful penthouse deal, but it's a modest apartment building.

"We must've been destined to meet then, because it's mine too." He retrieves a key from his pocket. The anger that was once forming inside of me has left. I laugh along with him. That was stupid of me to assume he was being condescending.

"Finally, I know one of my neighbors." I pause, "well besides that crazy cat lady who lives next door to me." I shrug.

"Ah yes, Dorris. I can assure you that I'm a little less crazy than her, not to toot my own horn though."

"Well, I'll be the judge of that." I fake huff at him as we board the elevator.

"So what floor do you live on?" His voice shatters the silence that fell upon us in the elevator.

"Nine." I reply. What if this beautiful human lived right next to me and yet I hadn't met him until one of Jenny's soirées.

"Well, miss Lily, I believe we're neighbors." He says as the elevator doors open back up to show us our floor.

"That's insane." I chuckle, putting my key into my lock mechanism and turning the knob. "My apartment is an absolute mess right now by the way." My face heats up, a little embarrassed.

"It's totally fine. I don't care" Ashton assures me as we enter my humble abode.

"Are you sure you don't mind the mess? I just moved here and I'm currently in the process of thinking about unpacking." Ashton laughs at my joke, although it wasn't much of a joke to be honest. I really have no motivation to take on these boxes.

"Well, I can help you unpack, if you want." He shrugs.

"Wait, really? It's kinda boring."

"It's the neighborly thing to do." He sends a smile my way.

I give him a confused look. "Is it really though? Have your neighbors done that for you?"

"No, but if you turn on some music, it'll be our own little party. And I never pass up a party." I laugh at the handsome weirdo. Nevertheless, I do as he says and I turn on my stereo and put on an album he picked out of my collection.

"See? Isn't this great?" I laugh. It kinda is.

***

I open my eyes and begin to squint. The sun is shining in my room.

Wait, the sun is shining in my room!

Holy shit.

It's morning already? I can't really remember too much of what happened last night. We had another whole bottle of wine as we were unpacking and boy can I feel it. I rub my eyes and look around my room. It's all set up and furnished complete with a  slumbering man next to me. We're fully clothed but all the boxes are empty. All I can assume is that we finished unpacking and fell asleep soon after. I should probably wake him up though. And get us some Advil.