Part 2 - New Years

Connor sat at the edge of the world and let his feet dangle over the ledge.

Well, he wasn't exactly at the edge of the world per say. No, he was just on top of a building, wind whipping up over the empty rooftop and a light flurry of snow dusting across his vision to speckle white where there was otherwise only blackness.

He'd flashed his badge to get up here - Legal, no... But he'd needed the quiet.

The date was December 31st. The time was 11:45.

There were approximately 15 minutes between him and the day Liam Everson died.

The city lights shone on beneath him, deaf to the time and uncaring for his loss. They would burn out for nothing. Street Lights became white splotches on a monotone background and headlights were naught but flashes of light across bottomless darkness. Colors blended together from this height. Where did purple end and pink begin? Did it matter? They were all the same from up here - So were they really that different on the ground?

Speaking of colors, a tiny flash of red caught Connor's attention, just a sharp glint in the corner of his eye. A splash of light in the darkness of the roof. The human didn't need to turn around.

"Calm down, Robocop. I ain't gonna jump." Connor snarkled lightly, leaning back on the butts of his palms to draw one knee up from where it dangled and letting a hand rest across it, fingers brushing against ice touched denim as they drummed over his knee cap in a slow rhythm.

Heavy footsteps made themselves known behind the man, echoing loudly across the empty roof where nothing existed besides him and Mace. "Taking wind chill into account, the temperature has reached a point where I would consider it hazardous to remain exposed to these conditions." The android's deep voice droned in the darkness but it was lowered, quiet in a way that Connor was grateful for. He didn't think he could handle much more than a whisper.

"Are you here to tell me to come inside?" Connor asked carefully, voice devoid of, well, anything. A perfect reflection of the numb coursing through his own mind as he stared out at the city lights miles below. He should probably ask how Mace found him... But the question didn't truly seem all that important.

Instead of answer, the man got something large thrown down on top of him, thick and weighty so that it sat heavy on his shoulders as long fingers carefully came up to pull at the material, slowly drawing it around himself until he could no longer feel the bite of the wind. Truth be told, he'd been out here long past the point of feeling the fanged edge of the winter's lashing whip but there was something about the sprawling coat that made him want to wrap up in it nevertheless. It was still warm, the lingering heat of his android yet clinging to the fabric to bleed into his own chilled skin and the faint scent of clean still on it.

It was an odd smell to be attached to, always crisp and fresh like you were walking into the laundry detergent aisle at your local grocery store instead of curled up with your partner on the couch in your own home; but that's what Mace smelled like. So, Connor drew the coat up to his face and let the barely discernible smell of soap and mint settle into his senses and run its soothing fingers over his troubled mind.

"Do you mind if I sit with you, Detective?" Mace asked after a long moment, voice heavy but not without a hint of hope. "I understand if you'd rather be alone." The android added hastily, deep tones betraying not a hint of pressure or demand. He'd accept whatever Connor wanted, even if they both knew he'd rather be here with the man - Which is why he was the only one Connor could ever let stay by his side now.

"Stay, Mace. I want you here." Connor agreed truthfully, shifting to make a spot beside himself for the android to sit. He... Didn't want to be alone anymore. Not tonight.