The Fall of Shiganshina

I remember it clearly.

As the sun began its descent, casting a warm golden glow across the rooftops, the town square awakened with an enchanting ambiance. The evening light of summer transformed the bustling heart of the town into a picturesque scene straight out of a postcard.

The square, adorned with cobblestone pathways, exuded a timeless charm. The gentle hum of conversation and laughter filled the air as townspeople gathered to enjoy the lingering warmth of the day. A soft, warm breeze carried the scent of freshly baked breads and the warm earthy aroma of a hearty stew.

Radiant hues of orange, pink, and purple danced in the sky, mirroring the vibrant colors of the flowers that adorned the window boxes and hanging baskets in the square. Their delicate petals swayed in the gentle wind, as if embracing the evening with their own joyous dance.

In the center of the square, a grand fountain stood as the focal point, its cascading water shimmered in the evening light. The water sparkled and reflected the surrounding beauty, captivating onlookers with its serene allure. Rose and I played with the children as they chased each other playfully around the fountain, their laughter echoed through the air, infusing the atmosphere with a sense of carefree joy.

Mother was at home making supper, and father was attending some personal business in town.

One second, everything was fine, it was just another day inside the walls. The children were laughing and playing, adults were doing their adult things, the strays roamed the streets inviting the townspeople to stroke them while begging for their next meals or perhaps a new forever home, and the birds were swooping and diving on the gentle breeze.

In the next instant, the tranquil ambiance of the surroundings was shattered by a blinding flash of light and a deafening thunderclap that reverberated through the air, shaking the very foundations of the earth. The people were momentarily held captive by the brilliant light. It was as if time itself paused to acknowledge the presence of the giant titan that now stood outside of the walls.

The sound crashed upon my ears with an overwhelming force, commanding my attention and leaving a resonating echo in its wake. It reverberated through my body, stirring a primal instinct within me, sheer and unbridled terror. It was a stark opposite of the tranquility that had previously encompassed the town.

The Colossal Titan emerged, casting an ominous shadow over the land. Its mammoth frame stood at an astonishing height, almost reaching toward the heavens, defying the very limits of nature's design.

In the wake of the blinding flash and thunderclap, the world seemed to hold its breath, as if in anticipation of the next act in this grand spectacle. Hearts raced with a mixture of exhilaration and trepidation, captivated by the unyielding power of the titan in that moment.

The odd looking titan stood behind the gate outside of the wall. The thing was pure muscle, and humanoid. Its body was well proportioned, unlike most other titans, according to some members of the Garrison. It glared down at the humans and we stood rooted in our terror.

There was something about it though. Something seemed different than the stories the members of the Garrison would tell about the titans. It didn't seem like some mindless beast, it was watching us all. There was something about it that seemed . . . Calculative! As though it knew exactly what it was doing. Something was wrong with this picture, this titan hadn't lumbered up to the wall. The thing had just suddenly appeared, out of thin air! The question was, how?

Everyone in the town square watched in abject horror as the very thing the walls were supposed to keep out began to make a way in.

Its massive limbs, seemingly hewn from ancient stone, moved with a deceptive grace and fluidity, belying the sheer weight they carried. The creature leaned back slowly, then swung its foot into the gate - the only real weak point of the walls -  and blew a giant hole into it. Immediately the titans that had gathered around the outside of the wall that day began pouring into Shiganshina.