Visitors

(One Year Later)

I had finally renovated the shelter Rose had found into a respectable place for two kids to live in.

The first thing I focused on was cleanup, dust, rubble, and random debris caked the ground. I, at least, did not want to live in such a filthy place, as long as the floor was clean I was happy to sleep on it. Then, I began to move large chunks of unnecessary rubble that had fallen in through the second floor. That took almost a month of hard backbreaking labor. With them out of the way we had way more space. The last thing I did was furnish the place. Which took the most time. I was constantly finding things that would make our existence more comfortable here. I brought in some of the furniture that had been relatively unscathed. I had gotten us a pair of beds, a small table, and a few large cabinets for the two of us, among other things.

Now the little structure had a very charming atmosphere to it. I had definitely made it at least a bit more than livable.

I was immensely grateful that Rosie had found it. It was like a small yurt, without the front wall. Although it didn't really feel like home, it was comfortable. We both liked it, and that was what truly mattered. At least, we both thought so.

Over the past several months, I have been studying and drawing titans. They acted so oddly, it had piqued my interest. So every morning I woke up, grabbed a piece of fruit for breakfast, and went out and found titans I hadn't studied yet.

Today was no different. I got up, got ready, got an apple and my sketch book, and then headed out.

Okay . . . Maybe today would be a little bit different. An entire swarm of titans were very close to us. There had to be at least fifteen titans about thirty meters from the place we were situated. This was not like the behavior the titans had displayed lately. It was closer to .  .  .  the day of the attack.

I jumped onto the closest roof, which happened to be the house parallel to our little place; and started to run toward the cluster of titans.

I was very enthralled at the prospect of action. Jumping from house to house, I came upon them quickly. I was always careful to keep my distance, even more so today since the titans were exhibiting such odd behavior. I stopped about five meters away, to see what was up.

When I looked closely at the scene, I saw something horrifying.

The scouts who had gone out on the morning of the attack on Shiganshina, were back now, and they were being mobbed by bloodthirsty titans. The titans were now playing the part everyone expected them to play.

There were so many that even humanity's strongest was being overwhelmed. For some reason, his party members weren't helping him. I realized many of them must be out of, or very close to being out of gas. Corporal Levi was trying desperately to keep his party and himself, alive.

I wanted to jump in and help them, but I knew I had to think of Rose, and put my safety first. I didn't know what would happen to her if I were to get hurt or killed.

But my conscience wouldn't let me leave them here and hope for the best.

I saw Rose hop onto the building adjacent to mine. She had left early that morning in search of food because we were running out. I wondered if she had also been curious about the odd behavior of the titans.

I looked around and saw a set of ODM gear, with two pairs of the specialized blades tucked safely away. I looked to her and saw that Rose had made a similar discovery.

She started wrestling the blades out of their holding places, and seemingly cut the triggers off of the wires that attached them to the gear. She stuffed a pair of blades into the triggers quickly and then after a moment's hesitation, jumped into the fight.

I started doing  just as she had and got everything situated in a matter of seconds. Then, I also jumped into the fight.

During the past year or so that we had been here, Rose and I had developed such powerful muscles in our legs that we could maneuver just as well, if not better than the ODM gear that the military used.

A titan stepped into my path, and though I was aiming for a smaller one about to attack one of the Survey members, I had to deal with this one first. I was able to slash its neck as I flew by. Corporal Levi had swooped in to save his fellow corps member. I glanced back at Rose who fell a titan chasing a pair of squad members. 

Then, she launched herself through the air and attacked a titan that was about to swipe me out of the air. In reality, the titan was actually reaching for the Corporal Levi beyond me.

"Focus!" She snapped as she flew by. "This is a battle, not a playground!"

"Why can't it be both?" I quipped, landing and immediately surging forward to attack a pair of small titans running after a pair of girls.

She sent me an icy glare and I mocked a salute.

With our powerful legs, we were able to make quick work of the titans

After we had eliminated all of the titans that were in the area, we dropped down and stood shoulder to shoulder under the scrutinizing gazes of the scouting party.

Some of the Scout members were in awe, others were trembling in fear after the ordeal, asking  themselves in quiet shock if they had really survived. Commander Erwin Smith was gazing at us calculatingly.

Section Commander Hange Zoe was almost bouncing with excitement. I could see why, we had come out of nowhere and made easy work of all of the titans. I wondered if she had noticed that the titans hadn't even tried to attack us, even though we were picking them off one by one.

Corporal Levi Ackerman glared at us with a pissed off look.

A long moment of silence passed.

"What the hell are kids doing here?!" Corporal Levi growled suddenly.