The Titan

For a long while, I had been feeling chills. 

It usually meant there was danger nearby. I had felt something similar when I almost got attacked by a pack of stray dogs. But this time felt different, anxiety and paranoia was building up inside my head. Even though I knew I shouldn't, I was going to try to ignore it. 

Everyone had finally gotten their shit together. I wanted to get them out of here as soon as possible, I hoped that would make the chills go away. But they persisted on bringing us with them.

"You are subjects of the king." Reasoned the Commander. "You should come with us."

"In fact, we can't leave you here." said Corporal Shorty,

"Yes, that is true." Replied the Commander.

"Besides," Said one of the cadets. "What if we run into titans?" 

I gave that kid a withering look. It was obvious he had more to say, but he shut his trap.

"Ooh," Hange cooed, bouncing up to us. "Let's have a race to settle this dispute!" 

I wondered where she had come from. She had wandered off a while ago and I hadn't seen her since. 

"ODM gear, against good old fashion human strength." She practically shouted. 

"Should the one with ODM gear win, we get to take you with us, and should human strength win, you get to stay here!" She said jubilantly.

"I think that's fair." Said the Commander.

"Yeah, let's do it." Smirked Corporal Shorty,

"I don't think th-" I started.

"Yeah! We'll do it!" Rose jumped in.

I sighed, if Rose wanted to I guess I would.

"YAY!!!" Screamed Hange. "Now we'll go from here, to that church steeple and back." 

The church she pointed to was about thirty meters away. 

"Choose your racers." The Commander said.

Rose and I moved out of ear shot, and then conversed.

I knocked her on the head, to show my annoyance. 

Personally, I thought this was utterly inane. Besides, we knew this place better than they did. We knew all of the hiding places, all of the backstreets and alleys. We could easily outmaneuver them without even trying. Plus they would have to chase us down while dodging titans. They wouldn't have a hope in hell of catching us and then they would finally leave.

"Sorry, but I want to show them that there is a lot to us, you know?" She said.

"Listen we should just run off and hide!" I said trying to reason with her. I could already see the frown forming so I hurried on. 

"Do you really want to go with them?" I questioned. "They'd think we're freaks! They would put us on trial because of our unusual strength."

"But -" She started.

"Don't you see? They think we're dangerous!" I pointed over at them, "Haven't you noticed? They always have us surrounded, they always keep a hand on their swords, they're always watching every move we make."

Even now, every scout was side-eyeing us, their hands on their blades. It was like she wasn't even listening to me, I could tell she wasn't going to back down.

"But they're scouts specifically trained for fighting titans. Do you really think we could get away from them?" She rationalized, "We have an advantage it's true, but do you really want to stay here?"

"What?" I started, "Of course -"

"It's dangerous here!" She cried, cutting me off.

"Rosie, it's not dangerous," I laughed, trying to ease her fear.

"What about that giant titan that almost killed me, the one that chases you around!" She snapped.

"I've told you already, Rudy is not a problem." I replied nonchalantly. 

"That thing is definitely a problem and you know it is. Don't think I don't see those scratches and bruises you come back with after coming across it!" She growled.

"Those are always my own stupid fault. I make bad choices, and they come back to bite me." I said.

"What about the day you came back freaked out of your gourd? You didn't leave again for almost a whole week." She argued, bringing up that sensitive topic. "What exactly happened that day?"

"Ugh!" I groaned, scrubbing my hand over my face.

"Fine! FINE!" I conceded, she laughed and did a little victory dance.

 "Well, You want to do this, not me. So you should race." I grumbled.

"But you're so much better than me." she whined, "I'd lose before the race even started."

I growled loudly, and then nodded.

I walked over, with Rose trailing behind me.

They had chosen Levi, to race for them. Of course, they had chosen humanity's strongest. At least they seemed to be taking this seriously.

"Now racing for the Scouts, Corporal Levi Ackerman, And racing for the twins, Rosswin Williams." boomed the Commander. "Get ready, . . . GO!" 

It took the Corporal a second to shoot his cables, but with that small time I had already devoured three meters with two strides. The corporal shot past me so I kicked it up a notch. 

I jumped onto a window sill and shot off to one diagonally parallel to the one I'd used as my launching pad. I zig and zagged along till I overtook the Corporal. I made it to the church steeple first. As I landed on the dome of the church, I turned to see a huge titan running towards me. 

This titan was one I knew I couldn't control. Regular titans for the most part, just ignored me. But this one liked to chase me around. There was no rhyme or reason as to why he liked to, none that I could glean anyway. But today he was just coming at me, not minding the buildings like he usually would. He trampled right through them making a beeline straight towards me.

This titan was almost as tall as the colossal titan, but probably 10 meters shorter, and as strong, armored, and fast as the armored titan.

Levi had already gotten to the finish. I watched in morbid curiosity as the titan gunned towards me. 

The others were celebrating the Corporal's win. They hadn't noticed the titan yet.

"We have to get out of here," I muttered, ripping my gaze away.

I jumped off the dome and landed on the ground right as the titan crashed through the church.

I ran toward the group, screaming for Rose to run. I was fast but Rudy was on my tail, his great galumphing steps rattled me to the bone and threw off my balance.

"Don't even try to fight it." I roared quickly, noticing them draw their weapons. "Just run!"

"MOVE!!!" I shouted, throwing one of the cadets away. He had frozen in fear and wasn't making any move to try to save himself. Turning, I ran towards the titan. I would try to keep him away from the group while they retreated. 

I halted right at Rudy's feet, and jumped away as his foot came down. I landed on the window sill of a house, but had to jump off almost immediately as the titan's fist came down hard, destroying the entire structure. I shot behind the titan and I started running down the road. 

He turned and proceeded to tromp after me. I jumped onto the roof of a house and then onto the house parallel. The titan didn't hesitate, and ran right through the houses. Following me without detour.