Goodbye

This song was my inspiration for this story. It's called Waiting Game by James Parson.

Emma Thomas understood that the world was neither light or dark, but actually a combination of both with shades of grey to connect them. For Emma Thomas knew that in those sad bitter moments when the world seems to dark, that shades of grey can appear to lead you to the light. That path can be carved by either yourself or someone who loves you dearly. And for Emma Thomas, that was her beloved other half, her twin. For Elizabeth Thomas, who always had to be first for everything among the twins. First born, first word, first crawl, first steps. Yet, she would always turn around and offer her hand to her sister.

Elizabeth was Emma's shade of grey.

She was there for Emma despite the grief filling her young heart of 5 years old, when mum and dad had to leave them one rainy night. Never to return to the home of their beloved daughters. Elizabeth was there with open arms, pulling her sister through the dark.

Elizabeth's bright spirit not only brought light back to Emma's, but to their grieving grandmother they lived with. She brought them both through the grey and they lived a happy life together.

When they were 9, Emma discovered a love of reading and writing. Elizabeth discovered her love of freedom in running the hills behind their home.

When they were 12, Emma discovered that others words were harsh and judging. Calling her silly to believe she could become a writer. Elizabeth discovered that words only went so far, and fists may end it when she defended her sister.

When they were 15, Emma was always found with a book and ink smears on her hands. Elizabeth was found with a wide smile and boisterous laughter.

When they were 17, Emma held back tears when she found out her grandmother's illness. Elizabeth stood strong as she promised her grandmother to protect Emma.

When they were 18, Emma discovered that despite loosing someone close. She can heal those wounds over time through her sister. Elizabeth discovered she was indeed strong despite heartbreak over her first love. They moved that year to live in a old vacation home where they shared faint memories of laying in fields of flowers.

The warmth of someone close to you taught Emma how to be strong herself. To help others through the grey divide. Elizabeth learned to depend on someone to help her through heartbreak from a first love.

Before turning 18, both girls learned that gifts given are not always planned. That the unexpected kind were some of the best kind to receive.

Oh the time, that year of their 19th was one of unconditional love and strength in preparation for what was to come.

Winter melted to spring. Despite the chilling air, the two enjoyed the sunshine and the beginning of new growth. The buddings of new beginnings, light shining upon it all. At least it was, before darkness reared its head.

It was May 3rd of 1998 when everything light quickly turned drastically dark. It all happened quickly, one moment the girls are enjoying a lovely breakfast with laughter echoing. Elizabeth felt a sudden pain that had her gripping the edge of the table, face screwed up in pain. Emma with a fast beating heart spots blood staining the white of her sisters dress.

Panicked she rushes to the phone to call the midwife in the small town. And when she comes, she realizes the situation, a situation that Elizabeth understood the moment they made eye contact.

With a lot of work and many hours in a strange bubble of silence filled with silent murmurs of encouragement. Until finally the silence is popped when a high pitched cry filtered through the air.

Emma with tears in her eyes, watches her sister embrace the miracle she created. Which slipped away as her sisters takes in a stuttered breath and the midwife works to stop the bleeding still coming from her sister. With great trepidation, she faces her sister who smiles weakly at her.

"She's so beautiful, huh?" She holds her hand out and Emma takes it. Not noticing the tears falling down her cheeks until her sister brushes some off her face.

With another weak breath, Elizabeth gathers her waning strength. "Her name...is Evelyn. I need you to take her." Not hesitating, she takes the small bundle of warmth that has her eyes closed in sleep.

Elizabeth let's out a warm smile at the sight of her beloved sister holding her daughter. With another weak breath and quickly waning strength, she speaks her final wishes.

"Emma," Emma turns her emerald orbs to her sisters weak ones. "I need you to remember... that once I'm gone...that I'll be here with her. That when you look into her eyes, know that I am there. I'll always be with you even if you can't see me. I need you to promise me that you'll believe that. Promise me Em." Emma's tears cascade down her face, falling lightly on the bundles sleeping face.

"I-I promise Liza"

"Good." And with one last breath, she smiles weakly as her eyes close and stills.