File 11: The Lab

Immediately after leaving the college building, Levi whipped out his cellphone and called Erwin, demanding for an autopsy of the victim that still lay cold inside his classroom.  However, the analyzing of the soil that was contained inside Levi's found envelope proved to be the top priority in Erwin's eyes, though the shorter detective still had no idea why.  Even more so, the dirt had to be surveyed first before the body, much to Levi's distress.

Calling it a day, Levi drove Aria back to her apartment, exhausted and spent from the long day full of emotional dips and peaks.  The girl exited the car solemnly, waving a timid wave to the detective before tiptoeing back into her apartment.  She shuffled passed a white Civic, a dark blue Silverrod, and a white Ram, which were he only three vehicles in the parking lot besides Levi’s own dark green Mazda.

Aria started climbing up the stairs, her damp caramel hair flowing behind her.  As she scaled the steps, Levi took notice that her cream skirt and blazer was now a more off color, and her black flats were smeared in dirt from the muddy rain.

"That's what you get for wearing that kind of get-up on your first day of the job," Levi muttered grimly.  "Or any day of this job, really..."

Without another glance back, Levi sped off once more, driving towards his own sector, which really only stood on the other side of the division.

His dark green car rumbled into the parking space, the man getting out of his car after killing the engine and slamming the door with a massive thump.  The sun was just beginning to set, and the usually gray skies were painted vivid hues of bright pink, soft oranges, and subtle periwinkles.  The colors spread out across the clouds, defining every bump and curve with the streams of intimate light.

Despite the beauty, Levi shuffled into his apartment, fumbling with his keys before rattling the doorknob to open the damn thing.  He quickly hurried into the home and loosened his cravat, tugging at it with such force it seemed it would have ripped if he didn't buy a piece of such quality material.  He clobbered off his shoes, which were once a shiny black but now a disgustingly matte, muddy shade, and headed straight for the showers.

He pulled off all of his clothes, his muscular arms tossing the pieces of clothing onto his bed and hopping into the bath stall.  Much to his relief, hot water sprayed onto his chiseled figure, dousing his face in hot spray and enveloping his body in a warm mist.  He stood there under the hose for a few minutes, his back being pounded by the needles of scorching water that shot out from the shower head.  The muscles rippled as he shifted in place, letting out grunts of ease as he felt his stiff body loosen from the heat.

He stretched, bringing an arm over his head and pushing it down against his broad back, dipping his jet-black hair back into the water.  He did the same with the other arm before sighing, reaching down for the dark green bottle of shampoo, squirting the light lilac product into his palm.  He lathered and rinsed, the air hinting in the scent of lavender and mint as he continued to scrub himself from the layer of skin that had endured such filth today, ready for the next layer to crawl over his body to shield him from the next few hours of grossness.

He finally finished his shower, drying and dressing himself in a pair of light gray joggers and a black undershirt that clung tightly against his narrow body.  He cleaned up his mess and tossed his dirty clothes into the hamper, sitting down for another half-hour on his couch to clean and polish his shoes.

He glanced at the clock.

9:53 pm

He cursed under his breath, finishing up his polishing and setting his pair of shoes onto the shiny steel shoe rack that sat next to his door.  He clambered around for his phone, finding it tossed onto the bathroom counter with seven missed calls.