3) The new level of crazy

After a bit awkward process of dressing up, for which Steve kept apologizing profusely – 'just stop apologizing, Murdock, I heard you the first time' – they managed to get to the street (which made Steve want to take a beeline back to the apartment, blind or not, because the assault on his senses was brutal) and hailed a cab.

Steve dutifully recited the right address, not allowing Mr. Nelson to speak, only to be questioned by both Nelson – silently – and the cabbie.

"Are you sure? 'cause I'm pretty confident that it's the Aven-"

If Steve didn't know better, he would think he could hear the moment Matt's friend resigned.

"Yeah, he's sure. Don't you know it, even that kind of building needs to be ADA compliant and my friend here is going to test it, so if you would be so kind..." Mr. Nelson interjected, sounding a bit different than before and Steve wondered if this was his business voice or he was just losing his nerve. Either way, it probably worked.

Also, Steve was one hundred percent positive he heard Mr. Nelson's pulse falter, which was impossible, but 'impossible' was just another Thursday for him.

His train of thoughts was cut off by a dialling tone from the lawyer's phone, soon followed by a female voice.

"Hey, Foggy! Did you reach him? Is he okay?" the woman asked, sounding a bit worried if Steve could take a guess.

A pang of guilt twisted his stomach for making her worry – and while Steve didn't feel good about it, he wouldn't have such a strong reaction, not normally. Weird. Maybe it was about the woman's and Matt's relationship and the body reacted on its own? This thing was getting stranger with each minute.

"Yeah, Karen. He's... I don't know what he is..." Nelson admitted with a twitch.

"What does that mean? Is he... is he hurt? You know, because he's... uhm... night activities?"

Steve blinked, his eyelashes brushing the lenses of his glasses – dark ones, he assumed, because Matt was blind –, glad no one could see how alarmed he was.

Night activities? What kind of night activities? Steve would like to think they were talking about an... intimate way of spending nights, but he was sure he was not that kind of sore. Blood rushed into his cheeks at thinking about the body he was occupying this way, but he needed to figure this out dammit!

How could a blind lawyer spend his nights in an unusual way, in a way that would get him hurt?

Steve's money would be on alcohol, but for some reason, he didn't believe it. There was just something about the way Foggy and Karen spoke about the topic that made him wonder and his hair stood on ends.

And unwittingly, his thoughts once again wandered to a movie he had been forced to watch recently, because it was a classic.

So, logically, his first question back in his role of (apparently) delusional Matt Murdock pretending to be Steve Rogers, after Mr. Nelson hang up, was: "Foggy, am I... am I in a fight club?"

"Are you in a— Matt, if this is a prank, you're really taking it too far," he hissed back, and ouch, not a good question then. And his heart started racing again – like, unhealthy fast, Steve thought.

"But-"

"Matt. Do you have amnesia? Do you even know who I am?"

"Foggy Nelson," Steve shot back immediately, happy he had stocked this information and could answer correctly without making the man beside him angry again.

"Yeah, okay. And who's that? How did we meet? What fruit or vegetable we are – yes, I know you insisted it was a fruit, but...?"

Steve just stared. Or, not stared, but he would stare if he could, perfectly confused. Was this a twenty-first century thing? Did friends name themselves after a fruit or vegetable? That didn't make any sense, right? So, naturally, Steve asked the only questing that did make sense.