7) In my own skin

Steve Rogers' eyes snapped open, greeted by grey. A grey of the ceiling, softened by warm yellow light of a nearby lamp.

Steve Rogers woke up and he saw. He blinked several times, his eyelids slightly heavier than usual, probably the effect of the tranquilizers, his lips feeling like made of lead. Yet, they managed to form three words.

"Oh, thank god," he whispered, running his hand down his face and pushing himself up to a sitting position.

"Nope, just foggy," a voice on his right informed his swiftly. A horrified inhale followed. "Shit, sorry, knee-jerk reaction."

Steve quickly looked at the man. He was a bit chubby, beige suit, blond rather long hair, inviting smile. Steve thought he was familiar, but he couldn't put his finger on it.

Yeah, things did feel a bit foggy, but that could not have been what the stranger was imply- right. "Right. Foggy... Hi."

"Am I talking to-"

"Steve," he assured him, making the lawyer grin victoriously.

"Right. Welcome back, Cap," Foggy saluted with two fingers, making the soldier smile.

"That's what the president said," Tony joined them in the couch area and Steve's smile widened despite the fact he should probably be annoyed. Who would think that seeing Stark's face would be an actual pleasure. "At least the Smithsonian claims it. And if you ever bring up the fact I was there ever again, I'll deny it. I was only there to draw you a moustache."

"Hey, Tony."

"Hey, Cap. How many fingers?" the billionaire asked cheekily, holding three fingers in front of Steve's face, switching to four just as Steve opened his mouth to humour him. So he closed it again. "What, cat got your tongue? Are you mute this time around?"

Steve sighed and made a disapproving face at Tony, feeling Foggy's sharp glare even without looking at the lawyer. "Tune it down, Tony. You're being insensitive."

Tony raised both of his hands in a gesture of surrender. "Sorry. You know I don't mean it. My heart's in the right place."

"You deal with this all the time?" Foggy asked while Steve just shook his head at Tony, who knocked on the device in his chest gently.

"Yes."

"Respect, Sir," Foggy mumbled and returned his gaze to the figure lying on the other couch.

Steve smiled unwittingly at the care Foggy was expressing by guarding his friend and protecting his honour in the process; and from Steve's experience, also by telling him with no restraint when he was being an idiot when needed. Steve knew that kind of friendships - he had a friend like that to, always by his side, no matter how much trouble he had got himself into.

To silence the pang of guilt and longing, he looked back at Tony; despite him being an arrogant human being at times, he was a friend too.

"I'm fine. But since you mentioned it... I can't believe I'm saying this, but now when I can't hear your heartbeats, I feel almost deaf."

"You were able to hear a heartbeat?!" Bruce's shocked voice sounded from behind him, almost making Steve jump out of his skin, while Tony raised a curious eyebrow, commenting on his own: "You can bond with Barton over that."

Steve couldn't help himself; he just rolled his eyes.

"Anyway. How about some calories? You must be-" the grumble of Steve's stomach cut Bruce off and as if on command, one of the specially designed post-mission drinks landed in the table in front of him.