Chapter 88

Note: You can play the video above to set the atmosphere ;)

You observed the dark house from the window of Esther's car. It was a cute house, but obviously old, and the darkness of the night didn't precisely help to make it look more friendly, neither the -probably iron- bars that covered the windows of the first floor.

You held back a distressed sigh. You had hoped the house had only one floor, but it seemed to have two.

The neighborhood looked nice and peaceful, though. You doubted you found an intruder in the house, and after seeing the place, Law was more relaxed too. The house seemed safe.

"Take this." Esther's voice made you turn your attention back to the inside of the car.

You stared with a frown at the two flashlights she was handing you.

Your eyes returned to her when you realized what that meant, as Law, who was in the back seat next to you, took one of the flashlights, unimpressed. "There's no light in the house?" you protested, disgruntled.

"There's no electricity," Esther specified. "Nobody lives here, and my neighbor used to visit in the morning. It was a waste of money," she added at your reproachful look.

You took the object and sent Law a doubtful look. "If you've changed your mind we can return," he said.

"No, let's go." You still thought it could be fun, and were curious about the house.

The three of you exited Esther's car and neared the door of the house. When Esther opened it, you turned on your flashlights and illuminated the ample entrance.

All of a sudden, you didn't want to be there. You wanted to be in your cozy, well-lighted and lively apartment. But Law's warm palm touched your lower back, and the reminder of his presence calmed you again, although you were still scared, and it was a little annoying to see you were the only one.

Law's hand caught yours, then, and he pulled you behind him and walked in front of Esther, wanting to be the first one to go in, just in case. You heard Esther closing the door before she stepped to your side.

You looked at the surrounding darkness with a small sigh. "Do you feel that?" you quietly asked, a little nervous. You were starting to believe your best friend's neighbor was telling the truth.

"Feel what?" Esther said, not bothering to lower her voice. Her loud tone made you cringe a bit, but there was no actual reason to whisper, so you said nothing.

"The air feels thick, and kind of heavy. I feel it too," Law affirmed, turning a moment to look at you. He was sure you felt it even more than him, given your sensitiveness. He didn't believe in ghosts, but if something was there, he had no doubt you would be the first, and maybe only, to feel it.

Esther shrugged carelessly. She felt just normal. "This house is closed most of the time, it's natural that the air feels saturated," she brushed it off.

Law hummed, half accepting, half agreeing. What he felt was different though, but he couldn't be a hundred percent sure it wasn't auto-suggestion and, most of all, he didn't want to scare you.

Esther walked past him with some impatience, crossing an open door that led to a big, and a little dusty, living room.

You entered with Law holding you close, and observed the place, moving the light of your flashlight all over it. The light of the moon entered through some gaps in the lowered blinds, so it wasn't completely dark, even without the flashlights.