Chapter 116

Your mouth opened in a huge yawn, and your lids lifted to peek at the clock of your mobile, taking a moment to turn on the screen before leaving it back on the mattress. Almost eight o'clock in the morning.

After being for a long time in front of the fireplace, Law decided to go back to bed to try to sleep, but once there, he realized he felt too uneasy and didn't feel like sleeping, neither like being in the darkness. The silence also bothered him.

So, looking for a way to help him feel more comfortable, you had turned on the bedside lamps, sat on the bed placing the pillows against the headboard so he could lean on them comfortably, and were playing some music with your mobile on a low tone. Law was so used to the music you listened that he had taken a liking to most of the songs. They had become familiar and comforting to him, and at that moment they were just what he needed.

And that's how the morning sun found you, Law leaning his back on the pillows half-seated, your head resting on his chest, and the eyes of the two closed as you listened to the music and relaxed. Sneaky was also laying next to Law, watching over him.

You talked a bit at first, but eventually drifted off into a meditative state, unable to fall sleep but tired and needing to rest. You had spent the last part of the night half asleep, aware of the music and Law's presence, but mostly groggy.

Law had been resting his cheek on your head for most of the night to let his neck loosen up, but you didn't feel it now, so you lifted your head to look at him.

You smiled inwardly for a moment, noticing his beautiful dark lashes in his closed eyelids. He simply was resting the back of his head against the headboard now.

Noticing your stare, he slightly opened an eye before closing it again, a tattooed hand lazily raising to brush your hair.

You rested your head on his chest again, and his hand followed, but it eventually stopped and simply rested at the back of your head.

"Have you slept?" you silently asked.

"No, you?" he replied with the same quietness.

"Kinda."

"But I feel calm," he added after a couple of seconds.

You smiled gently, your eyes closed again. "I'm glad. I feel calm, too. Like when you're a kid, and time goes by slowly, and you're mindful of the present moment without even trying. I'm sleepy, but I feel at peace."

"Peace..." Law quietly agreed. "Definitely not something I'm supposed to feel after a panic attack."

You hummed. "To be fair, it has taken you hours to relax. It's a fast recovery, but I'd like to think we're learning to control it and you're getting better."

The right corner of his lips lifted slightly as he opened his eyes, turning his face to the window, where he could see some pale sun rays entering through the blinds. "Do you mind if I lift the blinds? I'm tired of the artificial light."

"I'll do it, just give me a moment," you lazily offered.

"Stay in bed, I want to move a bit and I need to go to the bathroom, anyway," he replied, slowly sitting up.

You lifted yourself from his chest and laid down on the bed, and he carefully stood, trying to minimize the protests coming from the noisy mattress.

Sneaky opened her eyes, that followed Law on his way to the window, but she didn't move.

He only lifted the blinds halfway; the day was cloudy and the light soft, but it still was brighter than the lamps and more would have bothered his eyes.