one

~?~

What's the best way to prevent a car crash?

Drive carefully. Obviously.

Or if it's too late fucking call the cops. The god damn ambulance.

But what if it was planned? By bastards who you knew nothing about.

It was the moment that my phone vibrated in my pocket that my life changed. I rushed to the site, only to watch as my parents sucked in their last breaths. Lying helplessly in the wreckage, twisted gruesomely; unconscious.

They were taken in the clutches of death itself that very day.

Yet I can't alter fate now. Because after all, destiny isn't something malleable. And it still isn't. In fact, it will never be.

Since that day, the only thoughts my brain had remotely close to emotions were shock, agony, anxiety, rage, and detest.

After that incident, my life started crumbling into the dust of my fallen dreams. My grades stayed up, with the cost of bleeding hands and tears; it was the only way I could at least manage to live decently. But not suicide, dear god not suicide. Because I didn't deserve to be free of the pain that I suffered; I had my parents' dreams to fulfill.

Other than that, my already unfit body was less than desirable, and one flight of steps left me out of air in my lungs.

Luckily, moving to Seoul was an option. I guess I'm lucky that my parents weren't poor and had money to set the beginning of my solitary life. But what is luck anyway, I don't even have the gift of joy.

Today is finally the day I can ultimately change my life. For the greater or the worst.

I shift underneath the blankets, unable to wake up or sleep. I tenderly roll onto my side facing away from the wall, staring directly across the room. The blinds were partially open, letting small rays of light through; giving my room a serene look. I watch as the visible, minuscule dust particles danced in the air and then floated to the floor like feathers.

Scanning the perimeter of my almost bare room, I glance at the very few precious belongings that I brought with me from home. My eyes are immediately snagged by a deceivingly common object; a picture frame; small and compact. Its glass was slightly cracked on the top right corner and a thin layer of grime sat atop. The hand-carved, rustic frame lay there heavily as if it understood the memories it carried. I blankly stare for several minutes at the cherishable fragment of my family I had left.

Everything slightly goes out of focus as my eyes moisten at the thoughts it stirred up in the back of my head; my breaths hitched. I let one single, gleaming tear slide down my cheek.

No, (Y/N). You can't be weak now. Even mother said to stay strong, and not to let those precious diamonds fall from my eyes.

I slowly swallow trying to get rid of my recollections.

I rest my chin in the crook of my arm that rested on the fluffy pillow. My other hand mechanically moved lightly across my bed and dangled off the edge. The twin bed was low enough so I could skim the tips of my fingers across the warm, fuzzy carpet.

I sat there for about ten minutes, letting my dreams go crazy and wild.

Lazily, I push myself sleepily up knowing that the nagging fear of me being late to my first day wouldn't halt unless I actually performed the pitifully painful task.

Good, the hardest part of the day is over. I can handle the rest of the sh*tty day, can't I?

I haul my legs off the bed, letting them touch the carpet before I put all my weight on them. I drag myself to the half-full closet and choose my casual clothes; a hoodie, simple tee, and a pair of black leggings.