Chapter 5

It's not Todoroki's fault that the only thing he can focus on recently is Midoriya.

It's not his fault that forest green eyes and hundreds of freckles basically plague the entirety of his mind. But goddammit, in the words of Uraraka. He really hadn't meant to lose control after telling her his newfound discovery. Or rather, telling Ochako.

He had accomplished one of his many tasks of the day that morning. Well, two of them. Telling everyone their plan and asking Uraraka who she likes. He makes a mental note that he's now one of Ochako's closest friends, and even though it's going to take time, he'd like to get used to calling her by her given name.

Todoroki thinks back to when Midoriya asked him to call each other by their given names, and feels slightly guilty. Despite that, there's something else mixed with the guilt deep in his gut. Relief, maybe. Could it be that one of the reasons as to why he didn't feel ready (and still doesn't) was his undiscovered crushed? Probably. Despite the feelings already hitting Todoroki, it's hard for him to pinpoint what they are. He sighs.

Todoroki would most definitely not be able to call Midoriya by his given name now.

It's frustrating, really. The year in which he realizes his feelings for Midoriya just casually is also the year in which they have to act as if they are in love every single day. Though it wouldn't be all acting, would it? Well, yes? Todoroki then remembers he's no good at expressing his emotions. At all.

"Don't you find it suspicious?" Uraraka inquires, making Todoroki jolt, his train of thought coming to a stop. She's been lying on Todoroki's futon with her hands and legs up for the past hour (probably the only reason she didn't see him jolt in surprise). All the while Todoroki's been listening to music she'd chosen for him and packing.

Todoroki turns to her, raising his brow lightly in a subconscious manner. "Find what suspicious?"

"I mean," Uraraka sits up, pointing her finger at him. "The one year the summer camp gets cancelled is just casually the year in which your dad says you're going overseas. Plus, isn't it weird that he told you months before it got cancelled?"

Todoroki's lips quirk up into a small, amused smile. He wonders, while folding a shirt, how he grew so fond of Uraraka this fast. Not long ago he'd been scared of her when it came to verbal debates, after seeing her list all the many reasons as to why Midoriya really had to cut it out with the katsudon. Now it's been an entire week since he told her about his crush on Midoriya, and she'd used it as a bonding opportunity.

He wonders how Midoriya is doing. Certainly, he, Iida, and Kirishima have been spending an awful lot of time together. Midoriya always had a flushed face whenever Todoroki got the chance to look at him. Maybe he's participating in some bonding himself, too? Still, it was weird to see him without Uraraka, despite Todoroki knowing exactly why she wasn't there.

"Are you saying my old man planned this?" he goes back to packing.

"He could have!" Uraraka pouts. "Come on, Todoroki-kun! You know that man better than anyone, if he wants to spend his money on useless family stuff, he will!"

"I doubt it can be called family stuff, Uraraka." and it's true. That man would never waste his precious money on the family he had abandoned. "The old man asked all of us to come, but he cannot want to spend time with us, even less knowing that mom will be there, too."

"I'm just saying that there's a high chance he planned this."

"What for?" Todoroki ponders more to himself than to Uraraka, slightly throwing his head back. "Not even I knew of my romantic preferences 'a few months ago'. He must've planned it for something else."