The Reichenbach Fall Part 3

The footmen at The Diogenes Club were less than pleased to see Evelyn enter their establishment.

"Please madam, no women are allowed on the premises." An older footman signed in British Sign Language.

"I need to see Mycroft Holmes." She replied.

"Madam, I am sorry but―"

"I need to see Mycroft Holmes right now." She repeated, showing the footman her badge.

"Women are not allowed―"

"Where is Mycroft Holmes?" John demanded out loud from behind Eve.

"Oh, thank god." Evelyn said, turning to her friend with a grin.

Wishing to avoid a scene, the footman showed them into Mycroft's private office area to wait for the elder Holmes to arrive.

John handed her a file folder, looking grave. "You'll want to see this."

She flipped through it quickly, seeing forged documents of Jim Moriarty, listed as an actor― Richard Brook.

So this is how he's getting revenge.

Also attached was the Kitty Riley piece she'd seen advertised that morning, claiming that Sherlock had paid the actor to play Moriarty in a grand, fraudulent scheme for fame and fortune.

"This is insane." She managed. "I came to ask about Moriarty, but you're here to find out why Riley knows so much about Sherlock's life."

"Mycroft." John nodded.

"Where is Sherlock?" Eve asked, worried.

"I don't know." John admitted. "Lestrade came to arrest him, then I punched the commissioner in the nose ― nice job with Donovan by the way ― and then Sherlock and I ran. Those assassins, the ones around Baker Street, are trying to get some sort of computer code Moriarty used to break in all those places. We visited Kitty Riley and found out about Moriarty's big plan, and then Sherlock ran off somewhere."

Evelyn sat back, absorbing the information.

"I almost wish I hadn't punched her now." Eve said.

John chuckled. "Don't. I think you broke her nose."

They heard footsteps, followed by Mycroft opening the door.

"She has really done her homework, Miss. Riley. There's things that only someone close to Sherlock could know." John said as the man entered.

"Ah." Was Mycroft's reply as he shut the door.

"Have you seen your brother's address book lately? There's yours, mine, and Eve's." John said.

"We certainly didn't give this stuff to Moriarty." Evelyn said, feeling betrayed.

Mycroft sat tiredly down in the chair across from them.

"How could you?" Eve's voice broke. "You,―what? Met your brother's greatest adversary for lunch and tell him everything? How could you?"

"I never intended...I never dreamt―"

"This, see, this," John continued. "Is what you were trying to tell us, isn't it? Watch his back, 'cause I've made a mistake."

Mycroft didn't say anything. He sat stiffly, refusing to look at Evelyn.

"How did you two meet?" John asked.

"People like him, we...We know about them, we watch them." Mycroft began. "But James Moriarty, the most dangerous criminal mind the world has ever seen, and in his pocket's the ultimate weapon, a key code. A few lines of computer code that can unlock any door."