The Empty Hearse Part 1

Two years ago, London was gripped by the story of Richard Brook, and actor allegedly hired by internet phenomenon Sherlock Holmes to play the role of international criminal James Moriarty.

After extensive police and government investigations, it was proven that Richard Brook was a fabrication of James Moriarty. There was uproar in court today as Sherlock Holmes was cleared of all suspicion.

The news comes too late for the detective; however, as he fell to his death from the top of Bart's Hospital, in the autumn of 2012...

The article went on, but Evelyn didn't read any further. Instead, she closed her laptop and headed upstairs to speak to Mycroft. No answer came at her knock.

"Rebecca?" Eve backtracked to Mycroft's assistant's desk. "Where's Mr. Holmes?"

"Out of the office, m'um." Rebecca said, not looking away from her computer screen.

"Out of the office meaning out of the country?" She asked. "He's been gone for a few days now." Evelyn said.

"That's classified, m'um." Rebecca said.

"Uh huh." Eve said.

She turned around and walked back to her own office. Sherlock's name had been cleared, which could only mean that Moriarty's criminal network had finally been destroyed. Evelyn supposed her questions could wait until Mycroft returned from whatever high level deal he was making.

Eve stayed at the office for a few more hours, connecting the final pieces of a corruption case she was working on. In the early evening, she called it a day and headed home. Evelyn spent a quiet evening with a book and some tea.

Around eight, John came up the stairs.

"Hello," She said. "Where's your counterpart?"

John rolled his eyes. "We do spend time apart occasionally. I have something I want to talk to you about." He said.

Eve immediately closed her book. She got up and led him to the couch.

"Everything alright?" She asked.

"Yeah, everything is great." He said.

He set his jaw. "I want to ask Mary to marry me." He said.

Evelyn's jaw dropped in an enormous smile. "OH MY GOD!"

"Listen, it's not a big-" He tried to calm her down.

"It is a big deal! Oh my god! You're going to get married!" She exclaimed.

"She hasn't said yes yet."

"Like she'd say no." Eve said. "You two are perfect for each other. Oh, I'm so happy!"

"When are you going to ask her?" Evelyn asked.

John smiled. "Tomorrow night. I have reservations at the Marylebone Road."

"Ooh, fancy." Eve teased.

"She deserves the best." John said seriously.

Evelyn put a hand on her friend's shoulder. "I know." She said.

"It'll be unforgettable." She assured him. "And I fully expect to hear all about it afterwards, okay?"

"Yes, alright." John agreed.

---------------

"You have been busy, haven't you?" Mycroft said, looking over a file.

He sat in his other office, the secret one in the sub-basement of MI6. Across the room, his younger brother, fresh from field work in Europe, got a shave and a haircut.