The Lying Detective Part 2

John sat in the interrogation room with Lestrade after leaving the hospital. A lieutenant brought in a laptop with a recent news broadcast.

"Harold Chorely reporting earlier today." The anchor said. "Mr. Smith stated he had no interest in bringing charges."

"I'm a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I'm a big fan." Smith said to the reporter. "I don't really know what happened today. To be honest, I don't think I'd be standing here now if it wasn't for Dr. Watson."

"Is it true he's being treated in your hospital?" The reporter asked.

"It's not actually my hospital. Well, it's a little bit my hospital. But I can promise you this: He's going to get the best of care. I might even move him to my favorite room."

On the screen, Culverton Smith gave a thumbs up to the camera.

John furrowed his brow.

-----------------

The heart monitor beside Sherlock's bed beeped. John stood at the foot of the hospital bed, looking down at him. One of the nurses came into the room.

"Oh, hi." She said. "Just in to say hello?"

"No, I'm just in to say goodbye." John said.

"I'm sure he'll pull through." The nurse said. "Yeah, he's made a terrible mess of himself, but he's awfully strong, so, we must look on the bright side."

John nodded. "Well," He placed a cane on the chair by Sherlock's bed. "A parting gift."

"Ah, that's nice." The nurse cooed.

"Yeah, it was mine from a long time ago." John said.

The phone rang as John walked towards the door.

"Hello, ward 73." The nurse picked up. "Oh, Dr. Watson, it's for you."

John stepped back in and took the phone. "Hello, Mycroft."

"There's a car downstairs."

The car took John to Baker Street. Mycroft sat in Sherlock's chair while MI6 agents took down the various clippings of Culverton Smith that decorated the walls.

"Where is she? Where is Mrs. Hudson?" Mycroft asked.

"She'll be up in a moment." An agent informed him.

"What are you doing?" John asked.

"Have you noticed the kitchen? It's practically a meth lab." Mycroft said. "I'm trying to establish exactly what drove Sherlock off the rails. Any ideas?"

"I think we both know why." John asked. "Are these spooks? Are you using spooks now to look after your family? Hang on, are they tidying?"

"Sherlock is a security concern. The fact that I'm his brother changes nothing." Mycroft said.

"Yeah, you've said that before." John said.

"Why fixate on Culverton Smith?" Mycroft wondered. "He'd had his obsessions before of course, but this goes a bit further than setting a trap for Father Christmas. Spending all night talking to a woman who wasn't even there..."

"Mycroft, last time when we were on the phone..."

"No, no, no, no, stop." Mycroft said. "I detest conversation in the past tense."

"You said the fact that you're his brother made no difference." John said.

"It doesn't."

"You said it didn't the last time, and it wouldn't with Sherlock." John said. "So who was it the last time? Who are you talking about?"