The Snakes United

The whole entire room went quiet before Albus raised an applause. Following was the rest of the Slytherins. Hufflepuff followed their lead with a hint of awkwardness. Then Gryffindor and Ravenclaw gave theirs reluctantly. I removed myself from the hard seat to walk to the table. Albus told me to sit beside him, I did so out of familiarity. I heard the whispers drown the table but it was cut like butter by other sortings.

"Dursley, Cindy."

Albus blinked oddly. Maybe he knows of her family? Maybe father knows her father? He was muggle raised.

She sat down on the stool. I wish I could hear what analysis he had on her. They appeared to have a friendly conversation before six minutes passed and the hat said "They'll be proud to have a student like you. HUFFLEPUFF!" The tables all gave their applause but, as one would expect, not all of Slytherin clapped. She sat down, not talking to anyone. I watched the last few be sorted, the last being a Ravenclaw.

I listened to McGonagall's speech. It was just a warning about dangerous areas, for example: the Forbidden Forest. With a name like that, you're begging for students to try! Then food appeared on the tables. We took what we wanted and passed the plates around as to make sure everyone received food. Of course, we had to ask another to pass sauces like gravy or other things like butter if we needed it. Albus whispered over to me and told me "Don't be surprised if anyone thinks you're weak or makes odd comments. I've dealt with it all, although the weak part is mostly my fault." I nodded, being careful not to show too much movement as to draw as minimal attention to me as possible. I enjoyed the meal, it filled me almost but I left a little room. Then the delicious display changed into several treats of delight and flavor. I ate a tart only, not a fan of anything but such and sweets from sweet stores.

The time had flown and so the Prefects gathered us up to lead us to the Dungeons. There was the kitchen and a little passed that was our dorms.

"You will have to say a password to get in. We change it every week so make sure you get it before leaving the dormitory." One Prefect said while another spoke "Venomous Tongue." The door opened and the whole house walked in. They gave directions for every one except first years. My brother left with his friend and I felt the chill of uncertainty and isolation. Only a few Slytherins were here and knowing what I was told, they wouldn't easily be so chummy.

"Congratulations! I'm Prefect Rosalyn Goyle, and I'm proud to welcome you to Slytherin House. Our emblem is the serpent, the wisest of creatures; our house colours are emerald green and silver. As you'll see, the windows look out into the depths of the Hogwarts lake. We often see the giant squid swooshing by – and sometimes more interesting creatures. We like to feel that our hangout has the aura of a mysterious, underwater shipwreck.

"Now, there are a few things you should know about Slytherin – and a few you should forget. Firstly, let's dispel a few myths. You might have heard rumours about Slytherin house – that we're all into the Dark Arts, and will only talk to you if your great-grandfather was a famous wizard, and rubbish like that. Well, you don't want to believe everything you hear from competing houses. I'm not denying that we've produced our share of Dark wizards, but so have the other three houses – they just don't like admitting it. And yes, we have traditionally tended to take students who come from long lines of witches and wizards, but nowadays you'll find plenty of people in Slytherin house who have at least one Muggle parent.
Here's a little-known fact that the other three houses don't bring up much: Merlin was a Slytherin. Yes, Merlin himself, the most famous wizard in history! He learned all he knew in this very house! Do you want to follow in the footsteps of Merlin? Or would you rather sit at the old desk of that illustrious ex-Hufflepuff, Eglantine Puffett, inventor of the Self-Soaping Dishcloth?
I didn't think so.