Chapter 8: The Roadside Rescue Mission

By: eternityunicorn

Elijah and Eternity walked over to the diner for breakfast, which would be the last meal they would have at the place. A place that held meaning to them both. They had sat in the same corner booth, away from prying eyes. The older woman that had served them the first time had been their waitress. She looked at Eternity with the same awe as she had then, performing that awkward curtesy and bow of her head with every one of Eternity's requests. Then she would scamper off quickly in order to fulfill Eternity's order - and his too.

The meal had been pleasant. Unlike before when their conversation had been stranger to stranger, serious and to the point, this time their conversation was light and full of quiet laughter. They showed their affection for each other openly as well. He would reach for her hand, holding it while they ate. She would lovingly smile and kiss his knuckles sweetly in return. It felt like they had been lovers for decades, despite that not being the case.

After the last meal at the diner, they discussed their destination and then returned to the manor one last time. From there, Elijah left Eternity standing on the steps of the manor to go around to the back where the garage was located and fetch his car.

Since staying in the small Maine, he hadn't had need for it as everything was within walking distance, but of course, he had kept it handy in case he had to leave town for any reason. From the garage, he pulled the sleek black Bentley around to the front to collect his lady.

Leaving it running, he stepped out of the car and went around to the other side to open the passenger side door for Eternity. She gracefully floated down to him, redressed in a flowing yellow sundress and a pair of heeled white sandals. He watched her as she stood before the car looking impressed by it.

"Beautiful car," Eternity said appreciatively.

"Yes, it is," he smirked pridefully, holding his hand out to her in order to guide her into the car.

A look of mischief crossed her delicate features then. Without warning, Eternity darted off to the driver's side of the car, it's door still open. She grinned widely at his bewildered express. He hadn't expected her to go for the driver's side. By the way she looked, she wanted to drive it.

"What do you think you're doing?" He inquired, hanging his arm on the car's roof while looking at her incredulously.

"Get in," she answered without hesitation. "I'm driving."

He didn't comply. "Do you even know how to drive?"

"Aye. Though a portal would certainly be faster."

"Portal?"

Eternity nodded, "It's the standard way of traveling for immortals: a wormhole that leads directly to one's destination."

"Fascinating," responded Elijah. "What makes you think I'm about to let you drive?"

She smirked playfully, "I am a queen. I outrank you. Therefore, you must comply with my wishes."

He chuckled with a shake of his head, but relented. It wasn't as though he could argue against her when she pulled the 'queen' card, even jokingly so. "As my lady wishes," he said, "but if your driving skills are atrocious, you are pulling over and I'm taking back my car. I will not have this work of art destroyed, not even by your queenly self."

"Of course," she agreed with a laugh. "As you wish, my lord."

With another slightly shake of his head, Elijah climbed into the passenger seat, hoping all the while that he hadn't made a terrible mistake. He knew they would be fine if something went wrong, but he really like his car and didn't want anything to happen to it.