Journey Begins

A little pre-chapter author's note (so sorry>.<), Moth Priests are members of an order dedicated to discerning the elder scrolls in an attempt to divine the future and aid the Empire. They eventually become blind from reading the scrolls, and any who attempt to read the scrolls without the Moth Priests special training and preparation go insane. Durnehviir is summoned from the afterlife, a place referred to as Oblivion, where his soul is trapped in a part of it called the Soul Cairn. He gave Sloan the ability to summon him after she defeated him as it is the only way that he can ever take to the sky like he did when he was alive. All the dragons are dead, so don't worry, she's not going to do something ridiculous like summon fifty dragons. And that's about it! Please enjoy the chapter!

Edit: As I was trying to write the second chapter, it dawned on me that I'd gotten a little too eager and rushed into the story, so instead of a new chapter, this is a revised and longer first chapter. I wrote the sentence where the revision starts in bold so you don't have to search for it. This will allow the story to develop more smoothly, I hope. Thanks for your patience!

Chapter One

The wind whipped through her hair as she soared through the sky on the back of her summoned dragon, Durnehviir. She smiled when she thought back to words spoken to her by the Moth Priest she met before abandoning her homeland.

           "Young child, you have fulfilled your duty to this land. It is time that you find a destiny of your own." The blind man puffed on his pipe thoughtfully.

"How am I supposed to do that? I wouldn't even know where to begin." Sloan, though overwhelmed by the thought, looked to the man hopefully.

"You must leave Skyrim, leave Tamriel as a whole. There is nothing left for you here."

"So what you're telling me is that I'm just supposed to go stumbling about the unknown lands of this world seeking out a destiny that I haven't the first clue how to identify? Sounds like a solid plan if I've ever heard one." She muttered the last part to herself. Wrinkles appeared on her forehead at his oh so sage advice. She was starting to wonder if the blindness was a hoax and he hadn't simply lost his mind from reading the forbidden scrolls. He chuckled softly at her insolence.

"Child we all have within us a single thread guiding us to the right path, you need only follow that thread."

She smiled once more at the words she could hardly understand herself. If such a thread did exist, it was certainly hiding from her. She sighed as she started to feel her conjuration spell weaken and instantly she heard Durnehviir's voice echo in her mind.

            'Thuri, we must land. The soul cairn beckons to me once more.'

"I know, Durnehviir." She looked to the earth beneath them and slowly her dragon descended, landing in a small clearing near a lake. "This looks as good a place as any to begin. Thank you, Durnehviir, you may return to Oblivion." With a poof of purple aura, Durnehviir disappeared. She took in the scene around her. The climate here was certainly far more forgiving than that of her homeland. She thanked her lucky stars at that moment that she was not a pure Snow Elf, otherwise, she'd be melting in this climate. She sighed softly and begin walking in the direction she hoped would lead her to a village. She had exhausted herself conjuring Durnehviir and maintaining her spell as long as she had. She walked until she came to the main path and continued down that path for what felt like an hour or two. The sun was beginning its descent towards the horizon and she had finally come across a small village. She passed through the threshold into the village, unaware of the prying eyes that had been watching her since the moment she dipped down close enough to the land for her dragon to come into view. Naïve as she was about this new land, she had attracted unwanted attention unbeknownst to her. She ventured into the village, spotting what appeared to be a hotel. She entered and sheepishly approached the kind looking elderly lady behind the front counter.
"Welcome, we have many fine rooms available. How may I help you?" The lady smiled kindly.