Chapter Four

-A Few Days Later-

            The village was alive with activity that evening as Sloan made her way to buy more medical supplies, having just run out the day before and previously being unmotivated to skip her morning training in order to pick up some more. She clutched her left hand to her chest, protecting it from any further trauma as she made her way down the road. At this rate, her palm was becoming one of the ugliest things she had ever laid eyes on, but it couldn't be helped. She was determined to figure out how her ancestors had managed to master fire spells so well. She had never been given the opportunity to learn before she was shipped off to Valenwood. Her mother had called it a "short vacation," but they both must have had different interpretations of the term. She certainly never would have imagined it could mean eight years, maybe longer if she hadn't left of her own accord. As she stepped into the small shop, she took notice of a very familiar black cloak with red clouds. She had been running into it everywhere in town, a few of those times being in this very shop. He comes in here just as much as me, but there's no way that anyone else could match me in the number of injuries they sustain in a week. Curious as ever, she positioned herself behind a shelf facing the path he would have to walk in order to exit. As he turned to walk away, she peeked over the top of the shelf. His eyes met hers in a cold look and she quickly ducked her head. Very smooth, Sloan. You could totally pass for a ninja. She chastised herself as she slowly peaked her head back over the shelf, but he was nowhere to be seen. What did he haul ass out of the place? There's no way he got out that quickly!

            "It's very rude to spy on people, you know." A deep, even voice spoke right next to her ear. She jolted up straight and turned around to see that he was now standing right behind her.

            "God, you're like a pop-up book from hell!" She held both hands to her chest, trying to determine whether her heart had succeeded in jumping from her chest. "And I wasn't spying! I was just waiting for you to leave so I could shop in peace." She could feel her entire face heat up and she was certain that if she walked across the road and placed her head in a produce stand that she could certainly pass for a ripe tomato. She turned swiftly to make her escape and ran right into the shelf she had been using for cover. Eyes widened, she grabbed the shelf trying desperately to steady it, but most of the products had already gone crashing to the ground. She turned her head and smiled sheepishly at the owner who was behind his counter pinching the bridge of his nose in irritation.

            "I'll clean all of this up, don't worry! It'll be good as new in no time!" She had a giant reassuring smile on her face as she quickly gathered an armful of products.

            "You will or you'll have to go without your supplies today." She quickly nodded her head and began re-stacking the products. The man who had been standing behind her walked passed her towards the exit.

            "You really should learn to watch where you're going." She seethed silently at his words. He does have a point... He stopped at the exit and spoke over his shoulder to her. "Do something about that hand of yours. That's a hideous wound."
            "Never occurred to me. Thanks." She said flatly as he left. What a rude man. As she stacked the products, her mind was consumed with what had just happened. Was she really that embarrassed at being caught spying? She wasn't one to get flustered easily over little things and she definitely was not a clumsy woman. Maybe it's the way he looks at me with those eyes.

~~~~~

There's a reference in here if anyone can find it. Anyone? Anyone?

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! I know it's a little shorter than normal, but the next chapter will arrive on a screen near you tomorrow, the day after at the latest.

            Happy Valentine's Day!

                ~Cori