Chapter Two

"Back already?" Lady Eiko spoke as she raised her eyes to take in Sloan's approaching figure. "There was quite a commotion outside, are you alright, dear?"

            "I'm fine." Sloan said as plopped the money down onto the counter "You can count it if you like, but it's all there, I assure you." She winced slightly at the movement and withdrew her hand but not before Lady Eiko could notice the discomfort in her movements.

            "Very well. Thank you, as promised you may have a room here for as long as you need." Lady Eiko smiled kindly at the young woman in front of her, and she was met by a grateful smile in return. "Now, I was just about to sit down for some tea, care to join me?" Sloan was about to refuse, but after becoming aware of the faint aftertaste that still lingered in her mouth from the scummy man's alcohol, she nodded and followed Lady Eiko to a sitting area. As Sloan raised the tea to her mouth to take a drink, Lady Eiko noticed her favoring her left hand and instantly placed her own cup back down.

            "Child, let me see your hand." Sloan raised her brows but obliged, placing her left hand in the woman's small, frail one.

            "It's nothing really. It barely even hurts." She tried to assuage the woman's worries. Lady Eiko gingerly turned Sloan's hand over in her own and suppressed a gasp at the large burn she found on the young woman's palm.

            "Honestly, it's nothing I just haven't had a chance to tend to it yet," Sloan said as she looked into the old woman's worried eyes and retracted her hand. She placed her right over her left, focusing magicka into her palm in the form of a simple healing spell. All at once, her hands began to glow with a soft golden light, and when it faded Sloan lifted her once injured hand into the air. "See? All better." She said with a smile. Lady Eiko was astonished, but only for a moment. Life had taught her to expect to be surprised at every corner.

            "You are certainly the most skilled medical ninja I've ever seen. To make a burn that size disappear like that." The woman trailed off thoughtfully. Sloan looked down into her cup of tea. She had never planned whether or not to reveal that she had come from a different land. She couldn't see the harm in telling a harmless old woman. Besides, she needed information about this land, and the sooner the better.

            "I'm no such thing." Sloan raised her eyes to meet the old woman's. "This skill is my birthright, an ability passed down through the generations of my people."

            "Oh? If it's not ninjutsu, then what is it?" The flame of curiosity had been ignited in the old lady's tired eyes.

            "It is a form of magic. Ninjutsu, whatever that is, does not exist where I am from." Sloan finished, taking a sip of her tea. "This is the second time I've heard you mention ninja. Please, I'd like to know about them." Lady Eiko was quiet for a moment and Sloan was beginning to believe that she had divulged her information too soon.

            "Very well. I hope you're not tired, we may be here a while." Lady Eiko spent a good chunk of the night telling Sloan about this land and her ninja. Sloan listened intently, committing the information to memory. She had a feeling it would prove to be useful during her time here. When it became hard for the two women to ignore their exhaustion, they retired, Lady Eiko showing Sloan to her modest room and bidding her goodnight. Sloan rested her head on her pillow and turned her head to the side, gazing out at the moonlit night. She spent the final moments before sleep took her, wondering if her destiny was in this strange new land. As her eyes closed, she swore she could see two glowing red spots outside her window.

~Outside the Inn~

            "What are we waiting for? We should just go in there and get her." A blue man spoke from the rock he was sitting on at the top of a ridge overlooking a quaint little inn.

            "We don't know the extent of what this woman is capable of, Kisame. Attacking her now would be too reckless." The man standing at the edge of the ridge spoke in a flat voice.
            "Anyone could win a fight when their opponent is piss drunk." He said, recalling the fight they had witnessed earlier. "She didn't look like anything special to me."

            "Then you weren't paying attention." His eyes stayed fixed on the open window that contained the sleeping woman in question.

~~~

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Going forward, Sloan is going to be aware of most everything regarding ninja thanks to her little chat with Lady Eiko. Thanks for reading! The next chapter should be up soon!
P.s. If anyone is wondering about Sloan's hand being burned, I decided to take some creative liberty with the Snow Elf race. Since Snow Elves are not a playable race in the Elder Scrolls, there's limited knowledge about what their skills are. We know that they're highly adept with magic and resistant to frost, so I decided it would make sense if they were weak to fire. Also, in spite of their advanced skills with magic, I decided it would also make sense that it would take a lot of training and many years for a Snow Elf to wield fire magic correctly. Since Sloan didn't grow up amongst the Snow Elves, she's unable to use fire magic without consequences.

This is the light armor that Sloan wears, minus the face mask and with a cape that covers her shoulders