Chapter 1: First Encounter

Clara-

After four years of collage and saving up money I'm finally able to afford the small two story condo I always wanted.

My best friend Jess has been helping me move in for the past few days.

"Since we are finished getting you unpacked, we should go out tonight." Jess said.

"Jess, I've never been to a club before I don't think it's a good idea." I shook my head as I sat on the new black leather sofa I put in the living room, Jess sat beside me.

"Clara you're 21 years old, you need to have fun but you don't uh have to...get drunk."

What Jess said reminded me of my parents. they were killed seven years ago in a head on car accident with a drunk driver, I was the only survivor.

"No," I shook my head, "it's not a good idea. you go, have fun."

"Not unless you go, listen just think about it. I'll call you around 7 okay."

"Okay, see ya."

She walked out the door, I heard her car turn on and drive away.

When I checked my phone it read 4:25 pm.

I had a couple hours so i decided to take a nap. I laid my head on a pillow and laid on the sofa. Once I closed I was Immediately welcome by the surroundings of my dreams.

*the sound of laughter filled the car as we drove.

"Where did ya come from where did ya go, where did ya come from cotton eyed joe!" my dad sang jn his best/worst hillbilly accent.

"You're embarrassing." I laughed.

My mom turned down the radio some. her chocolate brown hair was the same color as mine, only her eyes were brown. my fathers eyes however were emerald green like Mine.

"Mom are we there yet?"

"Almost sweetie. 10 more minutes and we will be there.

We were on the way to a cabin up in the mountains. Here in Vancouver the winter is always snowing and in some parts of the mountains it never stops.

"Dad what's wrong with that car?" I squinted my eyes to get a better look at the swerving car ahead.

"I'm not sure."

"MOM LOOK OUT!" I squealed.*

I sat straight up from my couch. my whole body drenched in sweat.

Most nights since the accident, I always dream of what happened, it's more of a nightmare really.

I was only 14 at the time and still didn't understand the meaning of death, but when I woke up in the hospital with IVs in my arms and a breathing tube down my throat the doctors told me what happened and from then on I understood what death was.

Somehow I had cheated death but my parents perished.

I had no one else to live with, the rest if my family was dead or on the brink of death.

The only person I had to turn to was Jess, we practically grew up together, she was who I lived with when I was released from the hospital, so technically she's more of my sister.

Jess' mom passed away last year to cancer, and her dad left before Jess was born.

I was drawn out of my thoughts by the ringing of my cellphone.

"Hey Jess." I already knew who it was. her Ringtone is 'really don't care' mainly because she doesn't care what other people think of her.

"So have you made up your mind?" I knew she was trying.