Chapter Nine: Calm

T//W - Light Marijuana use
A//N - HUGE TWIST, Lapis dyes!
The (x)'s are time skips btw!

A newscaster on a local news station with a tragic combover reads a teleprompter.

...In other news today, a candlelight vigil held for the late Jamie Wentz, a college student in Springfield who was viciously slain by 19 stab wounds to the sternum.

The broadcast quickly cuts to a mature yet vapid reporter with a blanket of makeup plastered all over her face.

"Family, students and friends alike gather in the hundreds tonight in front of Coastal College Tech Student center with candles in hands and Jamie resting in their minds."

A young adult woman with rosy cheeks stained with tears shimmering from candlelight is shown,

Student: "He was the model student around here also the class president with very consistent attendance. Even, on track with making the dean's list this year, it's just so heartbreaking to see such a good person's life end up so harrowingly short."

Reporter: "Meanwhile, the search for the prime suspect is still ongoing. Lapis Lazuli, girlfriend of Jamie was seen leaving the scene of the crime and is wanted for questioning.

An unflattering senior class photo of Lapis is shown.

Newscaster: Leave an anonymous tip on our crime stopping hotline if you seen or have witnessed the whereabouts of Lapis Lazuli, call the number on the screen below to bring justice for Jamie.

(X)

The night themed walk back to Peridot's house is noticeably more draftier than the descent. Wearing my soaked bikini, interlocked moisture trapped in my inseams intermingling with the brisk summer air.

I followed her on a winding sidewalk, she's skipping and galloped without a single care in the world. On the other hand, I'm trapped with a million conscious crickets chirping reminding me of the lump of guilt I haven't yet swallowed.

She's going to get me boned one day, I know it and not in the good way. I've always been so smart on my own these few weeks, staying hidden and getting out of that town without anyone looking twice in my direction. Letting my guard down has never felt so right, and everyday I spend with Peridot the harder it becomes packing everything up and leave.

I drag my feet in this chilling realization, then they became heavier with each step. Until my body gave up walking altogether and stopped under an orange lit street lamp.

Took a moment for Peridot to notice my stall. She walks closer all cautious like as if she's searching for signs of life in the eyes of fresh roadkill.

"Need a pick-me-up?" She held her house cat by the under legs up to my face. At first confusion sets in, but the excessive purring pulled me out of my stunned state.

I reached out to embrace Miss Charcoal, "Where did she even come from, we are like three blocks away from your house?"

"She's my wild child," Peridot came closer to nuzzle the kitty in my arms, "I bet she travels to ends of the earth and always knows her way back home."

"I envy you miss Charcoal," I said stuffing my face in her fur.

"Is everything okay, Lapis? You can tell me, I'm not quick to judge someone looking so down in the dumps."

I hesitate speaking my peace, for a number of reasons. Peridot opened her whole home to me as well as her whole heart, practically dumped her love onto my lap with zero regard for the future awaiting us, both.