ii

.
.
.

"hello there!" the girl with spectacles chirped. she was still wearing an apron over her blue dress, chocolate and powder stains clearly visible on the protective layer. 'must be trish' the gang thought.

she whipped her head toward jahanna, her curled up locks bouncing at the sides of her face and the high-up ponytail she had it in.

"jahannaaa," she dragged out in a whine, "you didn't tell me yall were coming around this early. i could've worn something i little more nicer. i would've started baking the cake earlier." her bottom lip slightly formed a small pout as jahanna sighed.

"well now we're here, so stop your whining now would ya and let us in already," jahanna retorted while playfully twirling one of the spectacle girl's locks before letting it go and allowing herself into the house. trish tripped back a bit with the door before getting out of the rest of the gang's way. they soon each made their way into the cozy home, taking a seat at the dining table or leaning against the counter, and soon trish had closed the screen door, letting the summer breeze make its way in.

"guys, meet trish. trishy, i'm sure you've heard about these particular greasers, especially good ol' tucker over here," jahanna motioned to the seven boys and helped herself to a pitcher of lemonade trish had put out, spilling some on the kitchen counter. trish gave them a smile after she sighed and grabbed a rag.

  "sure have. jahanna's told me about yall. i know some of your names but, besides dal, of course i don't know who here those name's belong to," she looked up and forced another smile while she cleaned up the small puddle.

  "well the name's keith, they call me two-bit though. say, where's your trash can?" the first one spoke up while waving his now-empty beer bottle in his hand.

  "nice meeting you two-bit, and it's just right over here," trish said, pointing to a place under the sink.

  "i'm sodapop curtis! soda for short. and this is my kid brother ponyboy! ain't that right, pony?" sodapop teased as he wrapped his arm around the younger.

  "y-yeah. nice meeting you trish. heard great things," ponyboy managed to get out under his brother's grasp.

  "i sure do hope so. don't you two have another brother? he here?"

  "o'er here little lady," said the eldest curtis brother from the corner of the kitchen. trish's face got visibly pinkish.

  "oh my— i'm so sorry! it's great meeting you three, though," she stuttered out. the rest couldn't help but chuckle, jahanna on the other hand completely hunched over from the laughter.

  "oh, cut it out jahanna!" trish pleaded, but still giggling a slight bit herself.

  "yeah, jay, you didn't bring no inhaler of yours along and we don't need a trip to the hospital on our hands. especially when i need to have a bite out some chocolate cake!" steve added.

  "woah, man, stevie, no need to bring my medical problems into this! hey trish, better get that cake out soon 'cause somebody here's getting a bit... hangry," jahanna argued, whispering the last part.

  "don't you be pushing it jay—"

  "oh so you're steve? you're the one wanting to try my cake recipe, right?" trish interrupted steve with an excited tone. steve blinked at her, momentarily forgetting the reason why they were all there in the first place, before replying,

  "yeah, that's me! steve randle! i'm tryna find the best chocolate cake in all of tulsa. jay o'er here was mouthin' up all about your recipe last night. so i decided i want to try it for myself," steve explained while his chest puffed up a bit. and without missing a beat, trish's kitchen timer set off, and trish's hands clapped together.

  "well, yall'll have to wait for it to cool for a bit and for me to put the icing on it. why don't yall take a seat in the living room for a while?"