x

.
.
.

a low hum. like the buzz of a busy bee. if only that bee didn't have to be flying around his head right now.

"mornin'?" johnny groggily groaned. in a confused gaze, he heard the humming sound again, but as his senses started functioning one by one the hum had formed into a soft, pleading voice.

"... c'mon johnny, we're gonna miss it... gee can this boy sleep... hey, i'll let you sleep when we get back..." he heard a sigh, before the voice yelled—

"JOHNNY!"

  "I'M UP!" johnny yelled and sprang upright only to clash heads with whoever was yelling at him to get up.

  "agh..."

  "owww..."

  johnny held his head and shut his eyes tight because of the pain, and his sense of smell was overridden by the scent of sweet spice, causing his memory hit him almost as hard as the banging of heads did.

  "o-oh, i'm sorry trish. guess i forgot i slept over last night."

  he opened his eyes again and although it was still dark outside, he was able to see the girl holding her head as well. she gave him a small nod in acceptance of the apology, he could hear her awkwardly chuckle under her breath too. he looked around and concluded he was indeed in trish's house.

  he wondered why trish had invited him to sleep over again, specifically before the weekend they had planned to start on their project. wait, didn't she say it was for the project? but how? what did they have to do for the project again?

"has anyone ever told you how much you can sleep?" trish broke johnny out of his thoughts and laughed lightly, popping up from behind the couch. "it was barely 8 last night and i came out the bathroom to find you out cold!"

  "oh, well, guess i was just tired yesterday, s-sorry 'bout that," johnny mumbled.

"it's all good. hey, i know you just got up but, we really needa go!" she said apologetically before taking johnny by the wrist and peeling him off the couch. johnny, overcome by utter confusion, was practically dragged as they stepped into their shoes by the door and rushed out.  trish started leading him down and through the streets and started rambling on,

"sorry, no flapjacks this morning either, johnnycake, we just can't miss this! we'll be needing it for our project and who knows when we can catch it again before it's due!"

  she stopped them for a moment and as johnny was catching his breath, trish pulled out a muffin from a brown paper bag. "since when did she have that?" johnny thought. she held it out to him,

  "spice muffin?" she offered kindly, out of breath as well but still managing to smile as always. johnny looked between her and the muffin for a moment before taking it from her hand with a small "thanks". then, without a moment's waste, trish took him by the wrist once again and continued on, weaving through the quiet streets of the 'hood, not giving johnny an opportunity to take even a single bite out of his muffin. "glory, can this chick run. she'd pro'ly replace ponyboy on the track team real good," johnny thought.

  they stopped in front of a fire escape at the back of a thrift shop and, as if it was the most normal thing ever, trish started climbing it. johnny had no other choice than to follow her, since he didn't know his way around the neighborhood and couldn't walk back or anything. when they got onto the roof trish finally sat down to rest and took out a muffin for herself without sparing him a glance. johnny wasn't sure what to do now. so he stood next to the fire escape and looked around. he could make out the tops of buildings familiar to him in the dark distance. he took a bite out of his muffin. he found the view pretty neat. but after a while he got startled when trish looked back at him.