A Still small Voice

A/N: Y/s/n= your sisters name 

Y/l/n= your last name 

Any way, new part, I hope you like it : )

An hour after their dramatic meeting, y/n and Bucky stumbled tiredly into the SHIELD main building. Bucky had been informed by comms, via his earpiece that this was the location that was providing food, shelter and a meeting point for those who had been displaced by the Ultron disaster. The cliff where the pair had meet was approximately an hours drive away, so Bucky had Hotwired a motor bike and driven them back. The roads where littered with devastation which put a dampener on the mood and the banter between the pair. Between this and the rushing wind in their ears, the ride back was silent , apart from the occasional confirmation that they were both alright.

Bucky barely knew this girl but he could tell from her body language that she must care for her family very dearly, and that she was worried about them.

"So, who are we looking for?" Bucky murmured as they moved through the crowded lobby of the SHIELD office building. The normally pristine office complex was crowded with people, sobbing, out of both fear and relief. The atmosphere was one of despair, and Bucky could tell it was not doing much for his companions nerves.

" just my parents and my sister" the girl murmured back " none of our extended family lives anywhere near here" letting out a sigh she continued " this is probably the first time I've been happy about that"

Bucky looked over at the girl, her eyes sharply scanning the displaced persons looking for a familiar face. Bucky wanted to help but, he didn't really know what he was looking for. He too began to scan the crowds looking for anyone he might know.

It was then when he spotted a girl who looked easily similar to his companion. The other girl shared y/n's wide pretty eyes, but instead of the soft sweetness of y/n's face, her look was sharper. They shared the same voluminous wavy curls, but instead of the dark butterscotch of y/n's hair , the other girls was dark like chocolate standing in contrast to skin even fairer than that of his girls. Wait his girl? Since when did he think of her as that? They had known each other all of three hours!

y/n must have noticed his stares, and followed his line of vision and her exclamation brought him out of the realization that he may be falling for this girl a little bit too fast!

" y/s/n!!" Came the girls excited exclamation as she raced towards this "y/s/n" and the other two people she was standing with " you're ok, you are all ok!!"

as the other girl noticed her name being called, Bucky saw her smile and saw the desperation that was evident on the faces of all these refugees dissipate and be replaced with the first smile that truly reached the eyes that Bucky had seen since this whole calamity started. Putting the pieces together Bucky realized that this must be y/n's sister, and the older man and woman must be their parents. That would mean all y/n's loved ones were safe and accounted for! A larger amount of relief than expected emanated from Bucky as he watched y/n interact with her family, all obviously overjoyed to be reunited , safe and together. Bucky felt both joy and pain watching this as he remembered his own family who had left this cruel earth long before.

" Bucky," the musical cadence of y/n's voice called, pulling him from his trance " come meet my family"

As though enchanted, Bucky followed her command and stone over to the small intimate gathering

" guys" y/n began , gesturing at Bucky " this is the man that saved my life" she turned from her family to Bucky giving him a warm smile and softly touching him on the forearm, " and this, is sergeant James Barnes, who for some strange reason likes to be called Bucky"

The man who Bucky assumed was y/n's dad spoke in response " sergeant it is lovely to meet you, thank you so much for saving our daughter. As much as she may be a pain we would have in fact missed her if anything had happened"

At this comment y/n rolled her eyes, while the other girl, y/s/n let out a soft laugh at her father's words, while the older woman, y/n's mum, elbowed her husband in the ribs as if to say "now's not the time for that"

From this interaction Bucky could tell that the wit and biting humor must be common place in this household, and he better understood where his girls sarcastic wit came from. Bucky smiled realizing how nice it was to be part of, or even just to witness a close nit, functioning family unit.

Y/n's mother then turned from chastising her husband and placed a gentle hand on Bucky's non metal shoulder " thank you sergeant " she said simply in a voice that sounded a little too chipper for the situation. Bucky knew that voice, it was one he had used many times himself to prevent the tide of emotions spilling from his core . The world didn't need to see that, and this women obviously had the same philosophy . This woman was a strong one, and Bucky's respect for her rose exponentially.

" ma'am, it was my pleasure" Bucky responded with a tone of respect he reserved for his superiors. The woman must have noticed because the smile he received then was warmer, a little more genuine and actually reached the eyes.

It was at this moment that a man carrying a clipboard walked hurriedly towards the small group.

" Y/L/N family?" His weary voice queried, his tone giving away the type of horrendous day this must have been for the relief staff as well as the hero's.

The group nodded in assent to his query and the man responded " if you would follow me, I'm here to help organize housing until you are able to get back on your feet"

Y/n's parents nodded again and began to follow the man through the crowds. The girl herself hung back and took a step towards Bucky,

" will I ever see you again?" She asked , her voice sounding deflated at the idea

Bucky turned around and experts grabbed a pen and some paper from, a SHIELD agent that was walking behind him , the agent looked as though he may complain until he saw the face of the winter soldier, and let Bucky continue.

Bucky quickly scrawled a message on the note:

0476 6574 647

If you call I will answer xoxo

Best of luck Doll

He deftly folded the note and handed it to y/n, who tucked it safely in her pocket. She leaned forwards and gave the man a tight hug, and went running off after her parents.

Bucky gazed sadly at her retreating form before he began to turn in order to find somewhere he could be off assistance. As he did so, he suddenly felt a pair of arms snake their way around his shoulders.

He spun with lightning fast reflexes, ready to take out whatever the threat may be, but instead of some kind of crazed monster, he found himself face to face with y/n's sister, y/s/n!

" What!?" He exclaimed as she pulled him into a tight hug, which he felt a little more than uncomfortable with.

" Thank you for saving my sister" she whispered in a tone only he would hear before continuing " but if you dare hurt her in any way I will come for you, you hear me"

" What!?" Bucky repeated, unable to form any cohesive thoughts after being threatened by the family member of a girl he just saved

" oh you know exactly what I mean" she said before flashing him a smile and heading after her family.

As she retreated she called over her shoulder " nice arm by the way, vibranium isn't it?" She then flashed him a winning smile before disappearing into the crowds.

Bucky stood in silence shell shocked by the interaction, thinking it was no wonder y/n was a sass master when she was surrounded with a family like that.

Then his mind asked a second question, how the heck did she know about his arm, let alone the vibranium??