When I Was A Boy

(A/N: Spoilers from How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. 1:29:11 - 1:39:59)

"Dad! Can you please tell us who that dragon was?" Thora asked. Destin nodded beside his sister, looking up at his father. [1]

"That...was the great Night Fury," Hiccup started and leaned forward, ruffling his sons blonde hair. He continued once he sat up again, "Only one of its kind. They say that it was the offspring of lightning and death itself. And that if you ever encounter it, you should hide and pray that it would never find you. I know something else though. Because I met him...and we created a bond no one will ever be able to break. We had each other's backs through good and bad times, and when it was time for us to say goodbye, we thanked each other for the time we had and parted ways."

Destin looked at his sister, mouth agape and eyes wide.

Hiccup chuckled. Well...there were dragons when I was a boy," He started, looking at the two children sitting on the floor in front of him.

Going out on a boat to search for the Night Fury he hadn't seen in six years was eventful and the kids hadn't stop talking about it until he finally gave it and started talking.

"Oh, there were great grim sky dragons that nested on the cliff tops like gigantic scary birds," Hiccup explained, his arms flailing as he told them the story. "Little, brown scuttly dragons that hunted down the mice's and rats in well organized packs. Preposterously huge sea dragons that were twenty times as big as the big blue whale," He said, his voice sounding dramatic.

He leaned forward and looked at them. "Some say they crawled back into the sea, leaving not a bone, nor a fang for men to remember them by. Others say they were nothing but folktales to begin with. And...I'm okay with that."

Astrid smiled and walked over to them, sitting down on the arm rest of Stoick's old chair and placing her hand on her husbands shoulder.

Hiccup turned his head and smiled at her before leaning back and continuing, "Legend says; that when the ground quakes or lava spews from the earth, it's the dragons. Letting us know, they're still here. Waiting for us to figure out how to get along. Yes, the world believes the dragons are gone, if they ever existed at all. But we Berkians...we know otherwise. And we'll guard the secret, until the time comes when Vikings and dragons can live in peace again," He finished, scratching his beard.

Destin jumped up and grabbed his dragon plushie, running around. Thora ran after her brother and they hopped around the living room.

"My dad is the coolest dad ever!" They said, tossing the stuffed dragon to one another.

Astrid chuckled at her kids before slipping her arm around his shoulders and leaning against him.

Hiccup turned his head towards her and looked at his wife with a toothy smile. Lifting her free hand, she ran her pointer finger along his jaw covered with a thick beard.

Leaning in, she kissed the corner of his mouth and hummed. "Don't you think it's time to shave, babe?" She asked quietly over her kids play-fighting. "I miss the bare-faced Hiccup," She complained, pouting.

Hiccup flashed a big smile at her and she noticed two small wrinkles at the corner of his eyes, reminding her that they were turning older.

"Hmm...maybe," He started and scratched his neck. "It's getting kind of itchy," He said, his voice hinting the playfulness in him.

"Go and shave then. The chicken is almost ready," Astrid said before pulling back and standing up.

Hiccup shot up and grabbed her arm, dragging him against her and pressing his lips against hers in a passionate, open-mouthed kiss.

"Ewww! Hide! Dad's sucking mom's face off again!!" Destin yelled and grabbed his sisters hand, running to hide behind the bench.

"Oh, come on! It's an act of love!" Hiccup protested and threw his arms out, looking around.

Astrid laughed and looked at him. "Go. I'll finish things up in here," She said before pecking his cheek and then walking off towards the hearth to take the chickens off for dinner.

Hiccup watched his wife for a moment before walking into their bedroom.

•••

"I'll take care of the kids tonight if that's alright?" Valka asked and petted the top of Thora's hair. "Yes! Pleaseeee?" Thora begged, looking at her parents with big, pleading eyes.

"Alright, fine," Hiccup said with a smile and put the things down from the table. "Just don't go wrecking the whole place," He said and walked up to them, pressing a kiss to each kids forehead.

Astrid smiled. "Be nice now," She said, crouching down in front of the twins. "We promise," both said in unison and hugged her.

"Good. Now, off you go."

Valka smiled. "Enjoy your evening. I know you both need a rest," She said before grabbing the children and walking them out of the Haddock household.

Hiccup smiled and slipped his arms around his wife's waist, pulling her back against his chest. She leaned her head back and rested it on his collar, closing her eyes.

Hiccup hummed quietly. "I love you, M'lady," he whispered into her hair and Astrid smiled, slowly turning around.

Her hand landed on his chest while the other trailed up to his jaw and caressed the smooth skin. "Mmm...love you too," Astrid said before pressing her lips against his.

His arms tightened around her waist and he smiled, his hand resting at the edge of the skirt she was wearing.

Astrid hummed once again before pulling away a me'er inch and whispered, "I want another one."

Hiccup pulled back and looked at her, his eyes observing her every emotion. "Another one?" He asked.

"Mmhmm. I want another child," She said again, looking at him. Hiccup's eyes lit up. "Really? Are you sure?" He asked, twenty-eight years old and still asking if she was sure.

Astrid let him go and walked towards the stairs. "Of course. Haul your ass over here now and prove just how much you love me Haddock."

(A/N: Cressida Cowell confirmed the names of the kids are Zephyr (girl) and Nuffink (boy) but I'm not really warming up to those names yet so I chose Thora and Destin.)

- Toothless_NightFury1.