11 | Chapter Eleven

The graceful Arazel.

The woods were silent with adoration, overhung and overspread with ivy. A sense of peace brooded over the forest floor with a new kind of trouble dawning in on Macey's mental horizon, overshadowing her with a vague hint of depression.

Nestled on a large tree stump by the edge of the water, Macey kicked her boots and socks off, letting her toes dance along the icy tempered waters. It felt good to her, making her forget the words of the uncouth and snob riddled Heslington who didn't know the difference between an alcoholic and a drunk.

Her face was strewing with frustration, puffy from the built-up emotions.

"Stupid nerd," Macey grunted through tightly clenched teeth. Her fingers dug deep into the rotting plantation, with dirt pushing into the back of her manicured nails.

She wanted to punch Connor right in the jaw, belittling the one thing she's wanted to become her entire life. But if she were to step out of line again, Macey would kiss her opportunity to become a summoner goodbye. So she opted to walk away, feeling her heartbreak with each step she took for not defending what she loves with all her heart.

The subtle crunching of leaves softly caught Macey's ears, with the tune of scuffling feet following straight after. She didn't need to look over her shoulder to know it was the stupid nerd. She could tell by the way he grunted with despondent guilt.

"What do you want?" Macey asked with a cold tone in her voice, gathering every ounce of will power to keep calm and collective. "If you're here to run your mouth off about summoners, then I suggest you go toss yourself in the lake. Saves me the hassle of doing it."

He stood at the end of the log, with Macey watching his every move from the corner of her eye. She watched him survey the lake, his hands tucked away in the pockets of his pants, furiously kicking wads of dirt into the water.

He looks like he's gonna pass out, Macey thought and hoped for, as her patience ran thin with his stupid attitude.

"I was told by the professor to-" Connor's voice was raspy with the words beginning to trail off brokenly. "I mean, I would like to apologise for being crudely blunt and harrowing towards summoners.  The facts are plain as day, but it didn't give me the-"

Another know it all, thought Macey, trying her very best to mask her agitation. Reaching over to her boots and socks, she silently scoffed the then shook her head.

"The facts that you know is all bullshit and one-sided. Have you ever met another summoner before?"

Macey shot a frosty glare right at Connor, causing his entire frame to collapse and shrink. He crossed his arms, and his mouth trembled yet no sound left his lips, awkwardly sitting down with his shrewd gaze fixed appraisingly upon hers. Just those actions alone answered her question. He didn't know a damn thing about Summoners.

Connor's gaze faulted then fell. "I know when I'm in the wrong. You are, indeed, correct. My facts are one-sided and I've never met another Summoner before." His face began to crease into stern lines, brushing his fingers through his unkempt curly hair. "Judging by your hostility, you're very close to them."

"My parents are-"

Macey's throat turned tight, feeling a knot beginning to distort the words from leaving her lips. She bit into the corner of her mouth, trailing her gaze on the glistening waters before her. Not now. She felt her fingers clutch into the skin of her knees, the back of neck felt like someone was pricking her with small needles. In the corner of her eye, she could see Connor with a perplexed glimmer in the depths of his irises, most likely confused at her sudden shaky actions.