35 | Chapter Thirty Five

The island beauty.

Macey's body ached. The healing runes etched in her skin were irritating and sent a heavy burning smell lingering around her nostrils. But, as she gazed at the many familiars before her, some evolved and powerful — like Connors new arazel — she was glad to be back to Companions Magics class.

"Phoenix phase Aru!"

The temperature around Macey began to rise, watching the fire arazel become engulfed in a cascade of flames. His eyes were haunting and the howl he let out created chills all across her body. The wolf then began to slowly disappear, becoming nothing but ash in the wind.

Macey shook her head and smiled. She knew Connor hasn't been laying about and neglecting his training and could tell that he had been getting tips from Logan on his beast. But his efforts were futile as she laughed then yelled, "drown em Snowpea!"

The flames that surrounded them became smouldered. Macey had her vision locked on the hovering ash which was Aru, gritting her teeth when it would stay still.

"Lock on Snowpea."

The benevolent white Arazel howled, sending an icy chill throughout the entire battlefield. For a brief second, the ashes developed frost — the perfect advantage for Macey who smirked and yelled, "lunar flare Snowpea."

Darkness plummeted the area with the only means of light being Snowpea. Rays of energy shot down from the sky and towards the frosted ash, which made Connor realise his efforts were meaningless.

"Sol..."

But Connor refrained from yelling anymore, clenching his teeth while he watched giant beams of light pierce through the ashes. A yelp resonated before Macey's ears and Arus body was now his original form.

The light returned back to normal and all that was before Macey was a comatose Aru and a painting Snowpea.

"I still got it," said Macey with a smirk then winced from her injury. "Nice job nerd."

Connor shook his head then replied, "you're a headache. And welcome back."

His cheesy smile stretched from ear to ear, creating a warmth to develop in the depths of her cheeks. Macey didn't address much with Connor about her anxiety attack since waking up, feeling embarrassed to even mention it. But the feeling he made her feel in the pits of her stomach was almost unbearable and she really wanted to be in his arms again — despite not wanting to ask.

"Bueno tranajo Macey," said Hazel who gave a round of applause. "What a welcome back that is, besting Connor whose really taken a shine since your slumber."

"Thanks," Macey replied softly, remembering what Lumino and Gilden told her.

Since figuring out that Hazel was her mother's best friend, Macey couldn't help but wonder if she noticed anything familiar about her. The idea that this woman knew things about her birth mother toyed with her thoughts, making her twiddle her fingers against one another. I want to know, thought Macey, waiting for everyone else to leave the lecture.

"You coming?" asked Shaz who waited at the exit with Connor and Iza.

"Later," replied Macey. "I'm going to ask Hazel some things. You guys go on without me, I shouldn't be too long."