29 | Chapter Twenty Nine

Unconscious

Connor never felt so numb before. His entire body felt as if ice ran through his muscles, even with his fiery arazel's fur brushing up against his skin. He couldn't pry his lingering gaze away from an unconscious Macey who was paler than the moon and seeped blood into the cotton white sheets she laid upon. What was more heartbreaking was the fact that Snowpea was sitting in the darkness, whimpering loudly for the well-being of her owner.

"Will she be okay?" asked Gilden, towering over Del who had her full attention on Macey.

Connor could see Del's forehead was creased, her lips pressed hard against one another. He watched her resonate ice from her fingertips, listening to the faint chime of magical bells echoing in the dead nighttime silence. A whisk of wind feathered across his cheeks as Del then created a current of air that circulated around Macey, amalgamating with the ice that she had previously summoned.

Connor knew the spell well — a rejuvenation spell. He had seen this spell used before, watching many White Enhancers at the Citadel bring Paladins who were on the brink of death back to life. But in this instance, seeing the sullen look along Gildens face than watching Del strain to keep the wind in a steady flow — that's when he knew, the spell wasn't working.

"What's wrong?" Gilden asked with urgency. Del shook her head then muttered slowly, "Her lunar energy is depleting the spell."

Macey. Connor questioned himself as to why her magic was negating the means to heal herself. Did the person who harmed her create a negate spell? Or perhaps it was the energy she created was now on some overload charge. He brushed his curly unkempt hair in frustration, growling under his voice. He wanted to help, having this uncontrollable urge to do something almost becoming unbearable.

When he was about to rise to his feet, a hand came across his chest with a gravelly voice telling him, "don't worry. They have this under control."

The man in the wheelchair smiled, giving Connor a small fragment of reassurance to appear in the depths of his stomach. When he was about to thank the man who went by the name Lumino, he heard a gasp of shock leave Gildens mouth with Del sternly saying, "We have no other choice but to induce her in an eclipse coma."

Connor's eyes widened and his mouth jarred open from the mere mentions of such a drastic measure. It was a spell only used for dangerous magical instances and only initiated by the masters of the elements.

He watched anxiously as Gilden let out a grunt, lowering his gaze towards the ground before taking a step back. Never had Connor seen the headstrong professor shake with fear as he muttered to himself and began to show how worked up he was from the smoke that trailed along his arm.

"It's for the best," Lumino said calmly while he slowly rolled towards Gilden. "The possibilities of her waking up anytime soon can vary. But we can't let that hinder the chance of her recovering one hundred per cent."

"If there was any other option I would offer it." Del then looked down at Macey and said, "but this is all I have."

Everyone's eyes were on Gilden, even Aru and Snowpea who looked the most eager.

"Alright," mumbled Gilden. "I shall do this for her."

Lumino smiled then closed the curtains, making his way back towards Connor who still couldn't keep his eyes away from where Macey laid. He didn't have a clue as to what was going on, but judging from the sounds of material being ripped and a few subtle chimes of magic resonating around him ... he knew this eclipse coma spell was being initiated.

"Don't worry," Lumino exclaimed. "If she's anything like her father, she'll come out of this with a smile and a not so funny joke."

Connor furrowed his brows then asked, "you knew her father?"