Chapter 7: Welcome, Rookie

"I may have the advantage of getting here first," I paused and looked back up at the building. I couldn't even see the top. "But this is just ridiculous."

How the hell was I supposed to find him? It's not like security would let me waltz in and search the place.

Buildings like these consisted of at least 200 stories, it would be futile to even attempt to search every floor.

But maybe the security system...

I had worked in apartments like these quite a few times, installing the latest security systems for the rich pricks who were terrified of living in areas with high crime rates. Areas like Aertide. They were more than wealthy enough to move to better nations like Eden, but with everyone having as much money as they did, they wouldn't be considered rich anymore. It was quite amusing, watching them worry themselves to death all because they wanted to keep their status.

Using the security system seemed like the most practical idea in order to find him. I would be surprised if a fancy place like this didn't have facial recognition. I was still wearing my work jacket from this morning, Red apparently took the courtesy of cleaning it up. My employer's logo was on it, along with the company card in the front pocket. Piece of cake.

Now, how to get in. The only entrance was through a nanowall, which required a handprint or a temporary key card to pass through. I could hack the scanner, but that would take too much time. Laughter reached my ears, and I turned around to find a group of men walking towards the building. They all wore suits and were carrying black cases, most likely cypher-lined.

I quickly turned around with a smile, waving to catch their attention. They eyed me, before proceeding with caution towards the wall.

"Excuse me," I took a step towards them with an embarrassed smile on my face.

"Who are you?" A tall automaton stopped, not wanting to open the door for someone who looked like they had crawled out of the gutters.

"I'm a cyber security analyst, a local employee of Matrix Technological Institutions," I pulled out my identification card and handed it to him, "I'm just here to do some maintenance on your security system. But, I can't find my temporary access card. Would you mind helping me out?"

They looked me up and down, barely convinced. I really needed to work on my bluffing, at this point even I wouldn't believe myself. I mean, it wasn't all a lie, I did work for Matrix, but not as some fancy cyber security analyst. All I did was install the equipment, my higher ups did the real programming. Still, I've always had a way with computers.

"Where's your equipment?" A shorter man in the back called out.

"That won't be necessary, all I'm doing is updating your firewall and making sure the facial recognition is functioning smoothly. The only equipment I need is your building's main computer," I raised my brow, "When we were notified of a potential breach into some of the residents' financial accounts, Matrix sent me over right away."

That convinced them, simply threatening the one thing they cared about most, their money.

Their eyes widened, they exchanged glances before the automaton held his hand up to the nanowall scanner, opening it up.

"Just make it quick ma'am."

"Of course," I followed them into the lobby, explaining my situation to the receptionist and showing her my verification. She didn't buy it at first, but quickly changed her mind after eyeing me for a moment. Once the men went through the transporter on the other side of the lobby, the receptionist glanced up at me from the corner of her eye.