Chapter 5

Amy and John jumped back at the noise since they had been the closest to the bush. What came out they did not expect to see. For they didn't know they even existed. Out of the bush came tiny bearded men that didn't meet their knees. This had caused everyone but Dipper and Wendy to look confused at what they were seeing. Dipper looked at them then and noticed their confusion.

"They're gnomes." He told them to calm their nerves even adding a small laugh at the end. While it did help Mabel it did not help John nor Amy. Though they knew beings like Bill existed they just never really thought about it. Never really expected to see gnomes in the woods.

"Ah!" The lead gnome yelled when he noticed the group right in front of them. Then he noticed Dipper on Wendy's shoulders.

"Oh, it is just the young Cipher child." He said regaining his nerves.

"Hi, Jeff," Dipper said from his place on Wendy's shoulders. The gnome gave a little wave. He then looked around to see who was with Dipper. He knew Wendy, who they knew did not tolerate their pranks. They tended to avoid her. He ignored the two older folks. When he spotted Mabel he did a double take and looked ready to die from happiness.

"Did you bring us a Queen, young Cipher?" He said reaching his grubby little hands towards Mabel. Before he could get close Wendy kicked him away. He knew he should have stayed further away from her.

"No! Jeff, she is not for you, she is my sister!" Dipper said his eyes glowing brightly in warning. The gnomes knew that glowing eyes meant to run, but they really needed a queen.

"Come on, let her stay." He purred baring his teeth. The gnomes all started running forward ready to snatch Mabel away making her their queen. Dipper went into defense to protect his sister.

Snapping his fingers the gnomes went flying. He placed a shield over everyone to protect them from the attacking gnomes. Getting up the gnomes kept attacking. They clawed, they hissed. They wouldn't stop. Dipper made Jeff fly once again throwing him the furthest. Any gnomes that had been left in the chaos had run away not a second later. Without their leader they were useless. Once they were all gone the shield faded into non-existence.

"Bro bro! That was so cool!" Mabel said excited seeing at what he did for her. She looked up at him only to see his eyes drooping.

Wendy noticed Mabel's worried expression then felt Dipper slack on her head.

"Dipper?" She said hoping to get a response. When she got none she lifted him off her shoulders to hold him in a bridal style. She let out a revealed breathe when she noticed he was only falling asleep.

Brushing his hair out of his eyes she let out a sad laugh. "Bud, this is what happens when your sick and you pull stunts like that." Dipper only mumbled in response leaning closer to her for warmth. "Yeah, yeah. Just rest up bud." She sat Dipper on her hip. Holding him close to her side.

"Wendy, what was that all about?" Amy asked holding her daughters hand afraid those gnomes would come back for her.

"That's pretty normal. When they see young girls they always try to make her their queen. It's really creepy but they haven't been successful in getting one in a long time. Dipper never lets them."

"What's going to happen to Dipper?" John asked looking at the boy. His face was redder and his breathing was slightly more rapid.

"I think it is because he is sick. He gets drained easier. He will be fine after a nap. It won't be the first time this happened" Wendy said holding the boy close to her.

"Should we head back then?" Amy asked not wanting to interfere with what needed to be done.

"No, Bill will probably send us a little message when he is ready for us to head back and meet them. Until then, we should just stay here. You guys can go look at the falls, it is really worth it. I will stay here with Dipper." Everyone nodded, Wendy knew more about this them so they decided to listen to her. Mabel ran off to the pooling water excited to look in. John and Amy went to look around as well. Once they were gone Wendy took Dipper and sat against a boulder covered in lush green moss.