43) .The Neighbor.

(Edited)

.The Lodger.

~Catherine Wood~

Craig had left and come back grumbling. He had obviously been angered by the Doctor's position to take over at his work. He had hardly noticed me when he rushed out of the flat earlier, and now that he was back home, dropping his work bag on the counter, he almost screamed when he saw me, still watching the telly. I jumped up in surprise when he cried out. 

"What are you doing here?" he asked. 

I told him the truth, that the Doctor had asked me to look after him. He raised an eyebrow, grumbling and walked away, over to his room to change. Instead he walked to the Doctor's room and threw the door open. Eyes widening I jumped up to stop him, but it was too late. He had seen it all. The odd machine and mess and everything. The man looked at me in surprise. 

"The Doctor loves his art?" I tried, but it came out as more of a question than anything. 

Craig didn't try to question it, however, and shook his head, grumbling. He walked to his room finally, shutting the door behind him. A sound caught my attention and drew my thoughts away from Craig. A meow. Wilber was back. Making sure Craig wasn't going to burst out at any moment and think I was completely crazy for talking to a cat, I headed out of the flat, only to run into the Doctor who had taken an interest in the cat as well. He smiled at me and pointed to the feline.

"Is this him?" he asked. "The one you called Wilber?" 

I nodded. The Doctor crinkled his nose but acknowledged that I had named a random cat that had just shown up out of the middle of nowhere. It was a kind creature. How could I resist? 

"Have you been upstairs?" he asked Wilber, petting his fur. When the cat purred, he sat next to it on the stairs. I leaned against the wall,  listening. "Yes? You can show me then. You can do it. Show me what's up there? What's behind that door? Try to show me. Oh, but that doesn't make sense. Ever see anyone go up there? Lots of people? Good, good. What kind of people?" 

Lots of people? It was as if Wilber had been up there before. I was upset that I couldn't talk to the cat like the Doctor could. Sure, I understood certain signs, which was odd since I had never been able to before, but there was still something missing. 

"People who never came back down," the Doctor continued, catching my attention. That was bad. What was it doing to the people up there. Good thing we hadn't gone up their before. "Oh, that's bad. That's very bad." 

The door next to me opened and Craig stepped out, newly changed and a look of confusion on his face. The Doctor looked up, a dazed smile on his face. Wilber was getting on his good side, I could tell.

"I can't take this anymore!" Craig burst, his confusion turning to anger. "I want you to go."

The Doctor's jaw dropped, as well as mine. I could understand why he wanted the Doctor to go, but the man was so kind and always thought of others before himself. Why would he want him to go? The Doctor and I both followed Craig into the flat and Wilber somehow followed behind. I picked him up in my arms, cradling him to my chest. 

"You can have this back and all." Craig handed the Doctor a bag of money. It was way to much for rent, but I didn't dare say anything yet.

"What have I done?" the Doctor wondered, his face contorting into a pout.

"For a start, talking to a cat." 

I frowned. "There's nothing wrong with Wilber. Lots of people talk to cats." 

Craig looked to me and seeing the cat in my arms, he glared. He shook his head and looked back to the Doctor. "And everybody loves you. You're better at football than me, and my job, and now Sophie's all, 'oh, monkeys, monkeys, monkeys, and then there's that." Craig stormed into the Doctor's room, pushing the door open.