Confessions and Concessions

Qing Qiu.

Not noticing Mo Yuans departure with her sprite Mi Gu who he had commandeered to take him home, Bai Qian allowed Ye Hua a few more minutes to catch his breath and to ascertain for himself that their son was safe before gently extracting herself from his arms and forcing him to take a step back.

Behind her, The Empress was already leading the elder woman and her daughter into the den for refreshments and a warm drink while Bai Zhi forced Bai Yi onto a cloud in order to take him to the Peach Tree Grove so that Bai Qian and Ye Hua could deal with A  Li in privacy.

  Which was just as well, because Ye Hua was so afraid that his son had found himself in trouble.  In the silence that had followed his conversation with Mo Yuan, Ye Huas mind had conjured all kinds of scenarios that may have befallen his son.  With his Grandfathers death and Qing Cang about to break free from the Bell, the world was so unstable, especially for himself and his son, that should any of the dark landers stumble on the child, he would be the ultimate prize in order to bring them all down.  And  by the time he had reached Qing Qiu, he was already prepared to kill.

Now looking back at the woman who had played a large part in the mornings events, Ye Hua finally let go of the anger and fear as a deep sadness began to take over.  A Lis small hand was entwined in her hair, his head was on her shoulders and the small face seemed to be flushed with happiness in his deep sleep.  But what he immediately noticed was the way she was holding him  It was so different to how she had normally held him if she did pick him up.  Normally she would carry him on the side of her hip with one hand around his waist.  

It was a far cry from the way both arms fully enveloped his small frame, the way her hand caressed the nape of his neck or even the most softest of looks on her face as she looked down at the cheeks peeking out of the hood of a coat she had never seen before.

And suddenly both of their attention was drawn to the entrance of the den as the elder woman emerged with her daughter.

"There is no need for gratitude.  I did what anyone would have done.  I am happy to see him safe with his family." she said as she guided her daughter back out towards the steps.

Moving forward, Ye Hua quickly placed himself before her to bow in gratitude.

"Please accept my humble gratitude.  I am indebted to you both." he said as his head went down and Bai Qian moved to join him with a nod of her own head.

"Qing Qiu also owe you a debt, should you ever need our assistance, please do not hesitate to approach me directly." she said smiling down at the little girl with the pretty face and wide eyes that were staring straight at Ye Hua in awe.

"Nonsense.  I have no needs and have kept you all long enough." the elder woman said as she prepared to leave.

"Is there nothing we can do for you?" Bai Qian asked insistently.

Thinking about it, the elder did have one question.  "To whom does the death wail belong?" she asked looking at Ye Hua.  Initially she had worried that it may have belonged to him, or maybe even the War God having returned to create discord in their marriage alliance.  However, she had noticed his arrival with Ye Hua so knew it was not them.

Noticing the eyes around her lower, she wondered if she had said something untoward, however it was Ye Hua who answered her.

"My Grandfather, the Ruler of the Celestial Heavens died this morning." he replied in a whisper of a voice.

For a brief moment, the elders eyes lowered in respect before slowly rising to look back at him.

"I see." she said softly.  "May I be bold and speak my mind?" she asked as The Empress moved to stand beside her.