Chapter 8

It was over. It was finally over. The throne of Camelot belonged to Arthur Penndragon- the Once and Future King could finally fulfill his destiny, and Merlin could finally rest.

Merlin and his friends buried Morgana at the sight of the battle, with all of her fallen men. She didn't deserve a proper burial, but they still didn't want vultures tearing up her lifeless body. Merlin was finally coming down from his high, and realizing the reality of the situation. Everyone knew he had magic; they knew he was Emrys and a Dragonlord. Yes, Arthur had said he would accept him, but that was all hypothetical. Now, though, it was real. Merlin was scared to see how Arthur and his friends were feeling, so he avoided eye contact and focused on filling the graves with dirt.

"You did well, young warlock." Said Kilgarah soflty.

Merlin smiled weakly and glanced up at the dragon.

"I did what had to be done. Thank you for your help, old friend."

"It was my pleasure." The dragon bowed his head in respect.

"I do have one more favor to ask of you, though." Said Merlin, "Take Aithusa and raise her how a dragon deserves to be raised. You two are the last of your kind, and I would rather not have one of you be evil."

The Great Dragon grinned, startling the Knights who hadn't known that dragons even could grin.

"Of course."

And with that the Great Dragon flew away, followed closely by Aithusa.

Silence settled over the clearing. Merlin could feel all of his friends standing behind him, staring. He still wasn't sure how to proceed, and neither were they.

"Shall we head back to Camelot?" he said weakly, not sure where he stood at the moment.

Arthur stared at him a little longer before nodding his head. They all trekked toward Camelot for a few hours, and as the sun began to set they decided to set up camp. Merlin went off and gathered firewood, bringing back some vegetables and a rabbit to cook for dinner. Merlin's hands were shaking as he struggled to light the fire. He didn't notice everyone staring at him in concern, he was too wrapped up in his thoughts. Were his nightmares about to become reality? Would they burn him at the pyre as soon as they got back to Camelot?

"Merlin."

Merlin looked up into Arthur's worried eyes.

"Can you make a fire?"

"I'm trying to." Merlin muttered, striking the stone with his trembling hands once more.

"No," Arthur shook his head, "can you make fire? With...magic."

Shocked, Merlin jerked his head up.

"You want me to use magic?"

Arthur nodded his head and Merlin took a deep breath. Closing his eyes, he called upon his magic once more, feeling it bubble beneath his skin excitedly.

"Forbearne." he whispered, opening his eyes to reveal a gorgeous gold as the pile of sticks finally lit on fire.

"Wow." breathed Gwaine, smiling slightly, "It's- it's beautiful."

Merlin held his breath and sat down, crossing his legs. He couldn't wait any longer, he didn't want to be in limbo.

"I can't take this anymore. Am I going to die when we reach Camelot?"

Everyone looked at him in shock, but he held his gaze steady, emotionless. He couldn't react until he knew how they felt.

"You did all of that- reveal yourself and save my kingdom- still thinking that we would execute you for practicing magic?" Arthur said incredulously.

Merlin shrugged his shoulders.

"I know you said you were in favor of magic being used for good, but I still didn't know how you would react to me having it. I still don't. I just need to know, am I going to die?"

"Of course you're not going to die, you idiot! You just single-handedly saved us from Morgana! Magic or not, you are still Merlin. You're still our friend."

Merlin felt tears pool in his eyes and he looked away, trying to hide it. Relief hit him like a brick and he sagged his shoulders, finally able to relax.

"Will you tell us about it?" Asked Elyan sofltly.

"About what?" Replied Merlin, voice thick from holding back tears.

"About everything. When you started practicing magic, how you became Emrys, how long you have been protecting us."

Looking up at his friends again, Merlin saw nothing but curiosity and acceptance in their eyes, and he smiled allowing one tear to fall down his face before quickly wiping it away.

"Of course. All though, I didn't start practicing magic- I was born with it."

"I didn't know you could be born with magic." Said Leon.

"Well, most people aren't. Only warlock's are born with magic, or to be more specific born of magic. Magic is a part of me, as blood is of you. Without it, I would die. Many people, like Morgana, didn't have a choice in their magic, but they were not born of it, simply chosen by it later on in life."

"Is that why you can do it without spells?" Questioned Percival, who knew a a little about magic from the Druids.

Smiling, Merlin nodded.

"Yes, it's instinct for me. I just kind of...do it I guess. Don't know how sometimes, but Gaius has helped me control it. I use spells for some things, but the more powerful stuff is instinctual mostly."

"Why did you come to Camelot? You knew you would be executed if you found out, and you still chose to live there, and serve their king, no less." Asked Arthur.

"I came because I needed Gaius to help me control my magic, but I stayed for you Arthur. Everything I have done has been for you. There is a prophecy foretold by the Druids- it says that Emrys will help the Once and Future King unite the lands of Albion and bring magic and peace back to the five kingdoms. I am Emrys, the only warlock to be born in close to a century, and you are the Once and Future King, Arthur."

"You've been protecting me? All this time?" Asked Arthur in astonishment, "Even though you knew you would be killed if anyone found out?"

"Well, I feel like this might be a good time to admit that I have known about Merlin's magic since my arrival in Camelot." Said Lancelot sheepishly.

"What?! You told him and not me?" Shouted Gwaine, looking insulted.

"He saw me do magic, I didn't tell him purposely Gwaine." Chuckled Merlin.

Arthur stood up and walked over to Merlin, wrapping him in a hug. Everyone stared in shock at the King embracing his servant, and when he pulled back Merlin saw tears in his eyes.

"Thank you, Merlin. I know little of what you have done for me, and yet I am still astounded. I cannot fathom how hard this must have been for you. You are the bravest, most selfless man I have ever met, and I am proud to call you my friend. Thank you." A tear slipped down his cheek as Merlin hugged him back.

Acceptance is all he has ever wanted.