XXII

QOTC: Alison/Lorenzo or Alison/Richard?

4 months later...

The April breeze hit my face as soon as I set foot on the first step of dad's jet, and I stopped for a moment, looking around and taking in the scenery right before my eyes.
I was back in New York, back home.

After spending my winter break in the French Alps with my father, I had asked him to let me go stay at my grandparents on my mother's side, in California.

I had felt unable to return to school and face Visconti after the humiliation I'd endured, so I had decided to cowardly avoid my issues by leaving.
However, it hadn't come without any consequences: on the first day of school after the holidays, I had found myself seated in Mr. Visconti's office with my dad right beside me and that handsome devil of a man in front of us.

Thankfully, he had acted professionally, accepting my request to transfer out of the State and attend online classes for those 3 and a half months, since it was a service that the pricey academy offered.

I remember sighing in relief as I made my way towards the door, but that had been rather short-lived.

The relaxing smell of his cologne entered my nostrils before anything else. "Are you doing this because of me?" Visconti asked somberly, lightly wrapping his fingers around my delicate wrist to prevent me from exiting his office.

A painful lump formed in my throat at the unexpected closeness between our bodies. I lacked the courage to glance up at him, so I kept my eyes downcast, fixated on my shoes. "Let go of me, my father could see us."

And those had been my last words to him.

"Look at you, my ray of sun. I've missed you so much." Dad said with a happy grin once my feet touched the ground, picking me up and holding me in a tight hug.

I giggled at his exaggerated display of affection. "You came to visit like 5 times, I just saw you 2 weeks ago." Nevertheless, I managed to free my arms and encircle his shoulders with them, gleefully hugging him back.

He scoffed as he led me to the car, leaving Brian— his driver, the task of grabbing all my suitcases and loading them in the trunk. "So what, can't I miss my princess? By the way, he asked me not to say anything, but I know that you're not a fan of surprises: Richard is waiting for you at home."

Throughout all of these months, Richard had been the only person other than Lydia and Justin with whom I had kept in touch, so it didn't really shock me.
"That's nice of him, but honestly, all I want to do is sleep until tomorrow. I need to charge my batteries and prepare for my first day back at school." I informed with a yawn that only served to reinforce my statement.