Chapter 40 - Finally

Published: 2/7/2019

Draco's morning had been uneventful up until lunch. A few jabs with Harry about their Wolfsbane Potion in class and, thanks to Hermione, he did his Arithmancy homework without difficulties. But when he got to the Great Hall, Blaise and Dean almost immediately started a muggle brawl, which got both of them placed in detention by the headmistress. Blaise grabbed his books and had to go to do detention with Filch. Dean was sent to scrub the hospital wing floors under Madam Pomfrey. Theo made sure to stay out of it, this time. He wouldn't risk Draco being alone, or just with Daphne.

But their departure didn't stop the others. Smith, Rivers, Corner and Hopkins came over and Theo and Daphne didn't like being outnumbered. Theo could hold his own, but he couldn't block spells from all four of them.

Smith sat down next to Draco and said, "What's wrong, bitch? Not man enough to stand up for yourself. Need your dog to defend you?"

Theo pulled out his wand, but refrained from hexing them. Getting Draco alone was their plan.

"Watch it, Smith! Blaise won't take too kindly to being addressed as dog," Daphne threatened, her hand on her wand, too.

"Wow, he is a bitch, isn't he? Needs a woman to fight his battles, too?" Corner said.

"Hey!" Theo said and went to curse them, but Red Rivers moved around behind him, slapping a hand on his shoulder, ready to intercede.

Draco just stared at table in front of him, trying to bury his emotions. They were getting too close.

"That's what you are, isn't it?" Smith leaned in and whispered. He knew he had found a sore spot. "A defenseless little girl."

"What's that make you, Smith?" Harry's firm voice growled.

Draco breathed easier. Harry was there. Smith turned around and Draco glanced and saw Harry was flanked by both Hermione and Ron, looking ready to fight.

"Able to speak, unlike your pet, here. We were just talking. No harm done. Don't need to get your panties in a wad."

"I suggest you leave. I have no problem going to detention, too. And if you haven't noticed you're outnumbered, now," Harry sneered.

"And if I don't want to?" Smith said, recognizing Harry could only do so much with the other professors in the room.

"Then I'll Vanish your robes. I hope you wore something underneath. Might be quite a show."

Smith stood up, attempting to stare down to Potter. "His bitch-ass is hiding behind you, too."

"You're one to talk. I seem to recall you fleeing like a little girl at the Battle of Hogwarts? In fact, I didn't see you Hopkins... or Rivers." The three twinged red. "Hell... even Blaise, Theo and Daphne showed up to help," Harry grunted.

"I was there, Potter," Michael Corner huffed.

"You were... and I once counted you amongst my friends until you started acting like an asshole," Harry growled and Michael curled his lip. "But none of your new buddies were there...but Malfoy was."

Draco lowered his head, tense from the attention Harry was shining on him.

"Yeah? The Death Eater was there? With all his buddies, killing our friends!" Zach growled.

"What do you care? You ran away like the coward you are. But Malfoy... he fought on our side against the Death Eaters."

"That's bullshit!" Smith growled and Draco was well aware that the rest of the table was extremely quiet, watching the exchange.