twenty-one things

That night, I fall asleep under a scratchy blanket, unsettled by the drunken woman they put in the cell next to me who keeps crying, but reassured by the fact that Pete is somewhere at the end of the hall.

My rest is surprisingly deep. I suppose the events of the day have zapped every ounce of energy from me. I don't even dream, not of Mrs. Edwards, not of her daughter or husband.

Not of my mother.

When I awaken, the woman has shifted from crying to snoring.

My bladder is screaming, but I don't want to use the toilet in front of Pete. I half-sit and look for him, thinking maybe he went to get some coffee or something and I can quickly relieve myself before he comes back. I realize that Pete is gone, but someone is sitting on a folding chair outside my cell, watching me.

Chief Elliot.

"You're awake," he says when he catches me looking at him.

I pull myself into a standing position.

"Yeah. Didn't you go home?"

Chief Elliot shakes his head.

"Why not?"

He is silent.

I realize he must have felt an obligation to stay. I've been Riley's best friend for years. His conscience probably wouldn't allow him to leave me in jail overnight by myself. After all, I'm only in high school.

"Oh," I say.

"Do you need to use the restroom?"

He stands up and pulls out the appropriate key.

A guy at the end of the hall yells something about it not being fair, that no one else gets escorted to the restroom. Chief Elliot ignores him. I try to do the same when we walk down the hall and pass the angry guy's cell.

Chief Elliot waits outside the door while I use the employee restroom. There's a sign reminding me to wash my hands, and so I do the best I can, soaping up my right hand and then holding it under the dryer for a few seconds.

When I'm finished, Chief Elliot walks me back to my cell. I expect him to leave me alone then, but after he locks the door behind me, he sits down on the folding chair once more.

"I'm sorry," I say, wishing he didn't have to be involved with this.

"For what?"

"You know, for you feeling like you have to stay. I mean, I know Riley and I were good friends and all, but you don't need to watch me every minute. I'll be fine."

He looks down.

Knots his fingers together.

"Riley told me what made you so angry," he says finally.

I feel my cheeks heat up. The last thing I want to discuss with Riley's father is my stupid fight with my ex-boyfriend. "Yeah, well..." I say, not really sure how to respond.

"I just keep wishing the night had gone differently," Chief Elliot says.

"So do I," I tell him. "I mean, obviously."

It seems that's all there is to say.

Chief Elliot stands and squares his shoulders.

"Mr. Mason should be here to get you shortly."

"Thanks," I say softly.

Chief Elliot leaves then. I keep expecting the angry guy to yell something, but he's quiet. The only sound is the snoring of the woman in the cell next to me. I lie down on my cot and stare at the ceiling.