one last thing

An unexpected voice.

Mr. Edwards stands up, and no one dares interrupt him.

"Your Honor. I have something to say." Everyone in the room hushes. "This girl has taken from me the love of my life. The mother of my child. My reason for living." 

His lip trembles. 

Tears start pouring down my cheeks. I can't help it. I think of Mrs. Edwards and everything she did for us as a teacher. I think of her daughter. I think of that day after school when we had the most real conversation I've ever had with a teacher. 

I'm ready to take the punishment.

I want to take the punishment. 

Years in prison. A life for a life. Whatever it takes.

But then Mr. Edwards holds something up. A piece of paper. I recognize it. I don't know how he got it, but I recognize it. The letter that Mrs. Edwards sent to me that day. The last day.

"Your Honor, my wife clearly had a special connection with Liliana Crane. I don't exactly understand what it was, but I do know that my wife was not a vindictive person. In the last hours of her life, she chose to write this letter to this girl, thanking her for her compassion. I don't believe that my wife would want this girl to give her life for one mistake. I just don't."

Mr. Edwards, hands shaking, clutching the letter, sits down.

I am bawling.

Judge Farrell taps her pen thoughtfully against her chin.

"You know, Mr. Edwards, I appreciate and respect your opinion. This is a difficult case, considering Liliana's age and the fact that she was distracted while driving. I disagree with Mr. Mason when he said that anyone would have checked a text that came their way. It's not that hard to put your phone away when you're driving. Although, I've put a lot of thought into this, and I choose to not revoke this girl's freedom due to what appears to be a mistake, albeit a tragic one. I am, however, assigning the defendant a total of three hundred community service hours and the responsibility to pay the grieving family's funeral costs."

The judge's words wash over me but do not sink in. It is not until Mr. Mason grasps my shoulder tightly, leans over, and whispers, "Congratulations," that I realize I have not been sentenced to prison. Across from us, Ms. Olson packs up her things curtly and walks out, not giving us a second glance. Judge Farrell gives me a curt nod before getting up and disappearing into the judge's chambers, followed by the man in uniform.

When I turn around, I see that Grams and my friends are already moving up the aisle between the benches toward me. Riley is in the lead, a huge smile pasted on her face. It is this, more than anything, that solidifies the meaning of Judge Farrell's verdict.

Freedom.

The days stretch out before me, endless possibilities.

Making music with the Sea Monkeys.

Weaving words into poetry.

Traveling, maybe.

Mr. Mason takes a step back, letting Grams and my friends surround me. Riley's arms are around me, and I let myself be swept away by the warmth of her hug. When she lets go, I lock eyes with Abbott. He is looking at me almost shyly, like he's not sure whether he should touch me or not. I cut my eyes toward Jared, who gives me a slight nod. His consent.

And so I take a step closer to Abbott, smiling.

I lift my face to his, and he leans in for a quick kiss. Once it's over, I take his warm hand in mine. It feels so natural, our fingers laced together, like our skin was carved for each other, each slope and valley complementing the others' perfectly. My heart feels so light, like it might burst loose from my chest and take flight.

"Thank you so much, for everything," Grams says to Mr. Mason.

He blushes slightly. "Of course." Lowering his voice, he says, "Now that the case is over, I was wondering... Might you want to get a bite to eat with me? Perhaps sometime next week?"

Grams looks surprised, but recovers quickly. "I'd like that," she says softly.

On the other side of the courtroom, Mr. Edwards folds up the piece of paper and slides it inside his coat pocket. I pull away from my friends and grandmother and make my way over to him. I try to wipe away my tears, but they are still wet on my cheeks. 

"Mr. Edwards, I can never fix what I've done to your family. For that, I will forever be making amends. But I want you to know your wife was a great teacher and an amazing person. I just... I'm sorry. I don't know what to say."

He looks at me with wounded eyes. "I know. Neither do I. But I've done what I feel is right."

He takes my hand for just a moment, nods, and then drops it and walks away.

I have a strong feeling that is the last time I will ever see him or his daughter.

I return to my family.

And we all walk slowly out of the courtroom together, Riley and Jared leading the way, followed by me and Abbott, with Grams and Mr. Mason bringing up the rear. It reminds me of the way you leave a movie theater, kind of in small groups, talking quietly about what you've just experienced. Or maybe a church. It seems natural to share this moment with the other Sea Monkeys and Grams. And if Mr. Mason wants to be a part of this, as well, so be it.

We sweep through the lobby, out the front doors, into the day.

I shield my eyes.

The sun. It's so bright.