Part 4

About two months later...
(A/N: Because my 8th grade self really said SCREW the work required in relationship development. Eff it you're all good friends now)

As you and Evan walk to school together, you notice from afar a bunch of flashing lights and cameras.
"Hey wait, what's all that?" He asks. Over the course of the two months, you and him have gotten much more comfortable together. Evan's stutter around you is practically almost gone.
The two of you push past all the media, and as you do, you overhear reporters repeating certain words over and over again.
"Suicide..."
"Died all alone."
"A true tragedy."
"So much potential gone."
"Killed themself..."

"Jesus Christ Evan, I think someone killed themselves."
He looks at you anxiously.
"You don't think it's anyone we know, is it?"
"I sure hope not...."
You head through the doors just to see the students being ushered into the auditorium. You walk behind them, Evan holding onto your backpack as to not get lost in the crowds.
You take a peek in the bleachers, and see Jeremy and Michael waving you over. You pull Evan along with you and sit with them.
"Hey guys. Not to be sarcastic or anything, but....who died? Oh, this is Evan by the way."
They give him a small wave, which he returns.
"It's Heather Chandler. She killed herself by drinking a mug full of drain cleaner. And apparently she left a note, which Ms. Fleming is gonna read to the school." Michael explains.
"Who's Ms. Fleming?" You ask.
As if on cue, a woman takes the microphone.
"Hello, boys and girls of Musical High School!"
Dead silence.
"Today, I want us to facilitate a day of healing and talking over the way we feel about Heather Chandler's death."
Grumbles and mutters are heard throughout the gym as people complain.
"Now now, everyone. Let's all get into small groups, and talk about how her death has impacted us until we're all dismissed in about a half hour." She says, way too cheerfully.
The gym's mood changes dramatically as everyone cheers at the prospect of an early dismissal. You lean over to Evan.
"Did you know her?"
"I mean, not really? Sort of. I barely knew her. She didn't seem nice though." He says, clearly still anxious about all the media. You give his shoulder a gentle squeeze.
"Hey, just breathe for a sec, k? It'll all be ok." You say sweetly. He smiles at you and takes some breaths. You turn to Jeremy, who seems uncaring about this whole meeting. He notices you looking at him weirdly.
"You know she was a complete bitch, right?" He asks.
You look at him in shock.
"I mean yeah...but she just died. Maybe hold back a little?"
"Please, I've seen her harass you in the hallways. It's probably what she deserves." His tone is cold and apathetic.
"Jere, are you ok?" You ask, concerned.
"It's nothing..." He mutters.
You wrap your arms around his from the side, and he stiffens, but then leans into the hug. You feel him let out a sigh, then relax.
For the remaining time, you, Evan, and Jeremy talk as Michael bops along to his music. He looks kinda silly, but when you see how happy he is, you feel all warm and fuzzy.
He notices you looking and gives you a smile, one you just can't help but blush at.
Soon enough, the bell rings, and you and Jeremy start walking home together. You guys talk for a while, but his mind seems elsewhere. Soon you arrive at his house. After greeting his dad (who wasn't wearing pants for some reason) the two of you head up to his room. You sort of lounge in silence for a while. You and Jeremy are just like that. You love to talk, but the two of you have these quiet, comfortable moments where you can just relax. Where there's really no urge to impress anyone.
"Y/N?"
"Yeah Jere?"
"Weird question to ask all of a sudden, but who do you like?"
You play with your hair, flustered.
"Uhm, I don't really know." A couple of faces flash through your head as you answered. "Why?"
"Oh, well, Evan definitely has a crush on you."
"W-What?"
"The way he was acting around you, I dunno, it just gave off a vibe I guess. But he's not the only one who does, I think."
"Oh really? Who else?"
He pauses for a moment.
"I can't tell. It wouldn't be fair to him. I don't think he's realized it yet, sooo.."
"Who could you possibly know well enough to make that judgement? ....Is it Michael?" You ask, shocked.
"Nonononono. Not at all." You raise an eyebrow, but let it go. "That reminds me. How's your end of the challenge going?" Jeremy asks with a smug voice.
"Quit it. It's so unlikely I'll get a date. Looks like all three of us are gonna be stuck in Michael's basement, playing video games. Bonus points if I see the two of you get high."
Jeremy snorts. You watch as he pulls out his Switch from his backpack and starts playing Smash Ultimate. He notices you staring, clicks off a controller and offers it to you. You shake your head.
"I'm thinking," You reply. He just shrugs in response.